Topics

NOW - Experience

Claire C. Cox-Wilson <shotgun.ranch@...>

--- In ECHoof@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Collins <threecatfarm@...> wrote:

Tried once before to change the subject line and am trying once more b/c
clearly that is the lead on this article.

How about putting together a list of questions horse owners can and
should
ask when interviewing?

I think Abby, you mentioned asking for length of apprentice and/or
experience with a particular issue or method.

What else should people be asking?

Nancy C and Beau and Gabe in NH
Great idea Nancy !!!

1--In addition to Abby's length of apprentice and/or
experience with a particular issue or method. (Personally,I would like
to see someone who has looked into/studied several methods and is not
locked into a certain method. I want a wellrounded/open-minded trimmer.)

2--How about asking how he/she would approach underslung heels? (Again
I'm looking for an answer that tells me that they understand the
mechanism behind underslung heels)

3-- How about a horse with a diagnosis of navicular?
(Do they truly know what contraction is?)

4--Ask about experiences with laminitis and what approach he/she took??

5--Would they be willing to work with a vet and x-rays???

6--What steps do they take to BALANCE a hoof???

Okay..... there's my 2 cents...Any more ideas???
Claire from AZ

--- In ECHoof@yahoogroups.com, "Claire C. Cox-Wilson"
<shotgun.ranch@...> wrote:

Claire's questions are great, but what about people like me who fell
head first into this tarpit of IR and laminitis and wouldn't know a
thing about underslung heels or Xrays or whether the practitioner was
answering them correctly? That's a sticky-wicket!

I didn't know Joe's trim wasn't ideal until I posted pictures, asked
what a "quarter" was (and a flare and a thousand other things) and read
other websites, books, went to a clinic, etc. It's hard to be a good
judge if you're ignorant!

Jumping in on this late and if I'm way off base I'll go back in the
stands,

KFG

Eclectk1@...

Absolutely true, the less one knows about a subject, the more difficult it is to try to judge the skill and knowledge of those who are supposed to be "experts."  This is also why its so crucial for horse/eqine owners to work really hard to learn and continue learning about all aspects of equine management.  Not only "what does a GOOD trim/shoeing job consist of, what to look for in order to judge jobs" but basic veterinary issues, diet, exercise issues, and so on.  :0)

Robin
(list owner)
--- In ECHoof@..., "Claire C. Cox-Wilson"
wrote:

Claire's questions are great, but what about people like me who fell
head first into this tarpit of IR and laminitis and wouldn't know a
thing about underslung heels or Xrays or whether the practitioner was
answering them correctly? That's a sticky-wicket!

I didn't know Joe's trim wasn't ideal until I posted pictures, asked
what a "quarter" was (and a flare and a thousand other things) and read
other websites, books, went to a clinic, etc. It's hard to be a good
judge if you're ignorant!

Jumping in on this late and if I'm way off base I'll go back in the
stands,

KFG

5 Pine Ranch