Topics

Now: Experience - was: Barefootin' - a little rant

goddess03259 <threecatfarm@...>

THAT'S what I mean by experience. You can be told "if you see this,
then you should do that because ..." but it's NOT the same as having
actually DONE it. I heard people say "you can't take that toe back so
far because the wall will be too thin ..." but until I did it, and the
poor horse's foot split in half right up the abscess tract, and it took
me a whole year to grow it out, I didn't have a really good appreciation
for WHY. And when I saw that scenario again, I didn't take the wall
back so far.

-Abby
I sure can relate to this Abby.

I was a horse owner who knew what a foot and frog was and that you should clean it and
look for thrush. Eveything else will be taken care of by my farrier. Then I got a foundered
horse and four farriers told me to shoot him, basically. They had no more they could do.
And these were the experienced founder pros.

So I found someone on the internet to work with a farrier new to me who was in the early
stages of establishing himself with foundered horses. Together we learned about my
horse. I watched and he worked. Digital photos, rads, tons of telephone conversations
and emails, amongst the three of us. For three years I watched them trim many, many
foundered and unhealthy feet as well as my own horse. It was not until last spring that I
picked up the rasp myself and started, under the guidance of my farrier, to work my own
horses. It was/is very, very different. And very, very hard.

But this whole area is evolving. At least I hope it is where I am. We all know stories of
trims and shoeings of all types and styles going awry in the wrong hands. I don't believe
any one approach is immune to this on - going problem.

I hope this list, ECHoof, can help people like me who knew little about feet but knew there
had to be other answers. Finding highly experienced people who would consult remotely
with a local farrier/trimmer is what worked for me because there was no one here with any
answers. But doing so takes guts sometimes as we, the horse owner, have to trust our
instincts while we are trying to learn what our horses need and continue to look for the
right people to work with us.

Nancy C and Beau and Gabe in NH