Pads from anti-fatigue mats

gentpony

What is the best way to fit pads for founder rehab made from
anti-fatigue mats?

Do you need to cut the toe area at an angle to match the angle of
the hoof wall? We did not do that when we tried 1.5 inch
styrofoam -- it was a disaster, making him much more sore.
Was afraid to tape anything on after that.

Would you cut squares, let the foot imprint, trace and then
cut them out, or would you make a cardboard template and use it
to trace the mat? Do you want an exact fit at the sides?

Do you leave a bit extra at the heels for heel/frog support? The
medial hoof wall is curling under at the heel.

Also, do you use scissors or something else?

From memory, these mats are grey , come as 2 foot interlocking
squares and are about 3/4 inch thick. He is a 12H pony, hooves
approx 3" x 3.5".

Any tips on making or taping would really be appreciated.

Eva

briarskingstonnet <briars@...>

What is the best way to fit pads for founder rehab made from
anti-fatigue mats?
It depends on the situation,I would think.
Sorry,Eva,I'm not sure about the circs.

Do you need to cut the toe area at an angle to match the angle of
the hoof wall? We did not do that when we tried 1.5 inch
styrofoam -- it was a disaster, making him much more sore.
Was afraid to tape anything on after that.
What's his situation?

Would you cut squares, let the foot imprint, trace and then
cut them out, or would you make a cardboard template and use it
to trace the mat? Do you want an exact fit at the sides?
If he can stand on the pad I would just trace around his foot with a
pen,knife or something like that.After you have traced/cut 2 pads you
can use those as templates for more.

Do you leave a bit extra at the heels for heel/frog support?
Again it depends on the situation.I have done various things with the
pads depending on the situation of my horse at the time.I have cut
wall rims(like a shoe),have cut entire hoof pad,have cut hoof pad
with area cut out for frog .
At the moment I am using 2 full pads(each hoof) inside one pair of
boots for Drummer,and use a different set-up for the other pair of
boots.

The
medial hoof wall is curling under at the heel.

Also, do you use scissors or something else?
I use scissors.

From memory, these mats are grey , come as 2 foot interlocking
squares and are about 3/4 inch thick.
The material I use comes on a 3' wide roll and is sold by linear
foot.It's fairly firm,squises down to a crtain extent so needs to be
changed about every 12 hours(in my experience),can be set aside for
12 hours aftr hich it sems to regain its thickness,so don't throw out
used pads.

He is a 12H pony, hooves
approx 3" x 3.5".

Any tips on making or taping would really be appreciated.
Again,I'm not up on our details.Duct tape is the tape of choice for
me.
But hopefully the hoof gurus will surface and give you more helpful
information.

Lorna

gentpony

--- In ECHoof@..., "briarskingstonnet"
<briars@...> wrote

What's his situation?

Lorna

So nice to hear from you Lorna!!! Don't know how you managed
to get through this with your herd---am having trouble with only
one!!!

Know I need to update Mel's history (my other task for tonight). I
have been literally too busy and exhausted to drive to the
computer to do it. Will deal with all the details on EC. His
situation is very complicated but the thing that put him over the
edge was a poor trim on Sept 8 that unbalanced his
compromised feet (half-grown out of a previous founder from fall
2006, we were almost there, ###***!!!).

He has been confined entirely to his stall and is finally not lying
down and is moving around alot and more easily. He is on 8"
hemp bedding and exposed areas have anti-fatigue mat on top
of his regular conveyor- belt rubber mats. If he steps off the mat
onto the concrete he is stiff-leged and in pain, so think we will be
using an entire hoof pad to give support and minimize hoof
mechanism. If bedding balls up on his feet, that also bothers
him. No more heat, pulses not strong but palpable. The tack
shop says his hooves are too small for boots, so have none.

It's time to let him outside, but want to cushion his steps. Recent
x-rays showed 1-2 degree rotation LF and 5-6 degrees RF. His
turn-out will be new commercial horse mats (TSC) over hard
gravel or on sandy dirt that can be hard. Have nice cushy grassy
areas but don't trust him even with a muzzle taped up. He
chewed through the stitching on the Best Friend at the chin after
only 4 hours total wear time.

Hope this gives more useful info.

Eva

P.S. Would love to post hoof photos--have figured where to get
my pics digitized (disposable digital cameras not available in
Canada), but need to find someone with a PC to load the CD
and send. The library or the CAP site cannot do it. I could mail
the CD to someone. This computer is a green iMac Power PC
G3, machine ID 406, 266 MHz, 97MB memory with a CD ROM
slot, no photo software, running OS 9.1. I don't know enough to
know if this computer is capable of sending out pics or where to
get the software (need old for the 9.1 OS). Even if I bought a
digital camera, still have the computer problem. If anyone can
help, please advise.

briarskingstonnet <briars@...>

His
situation is very complicated but the thing that put him over the
edge was a poor trim on Sept 8 that unbalanced his
compromised feet (half-grown out of a previous founder from fall
2006, we were almost there, ###***!!!).
Oh boy.Can I ever identify with that.Not from bad trim,but
just "circumstances" of one kind or another.

He has been confined entirely to his stall and is finally not lying
down and is moving around alot and more easily. He is on 8"
hemp bedding
Where do you get that,Eva?How do you like it?

and exposed areas have anti-fatigue mat on top
of his regular conveyor- belt rubber mats. If he steps off the mat
onto the concrete he is stiff-leged and in pain, so think we will
be
using an entire hoof pad to give support and minimize hoof
mechanism. If bedding balls up on his feet, that also bothers
him.
Yes Drummer,too.Boots or no boots.

>No more heat, pulses not strong but palpable.

Good.

The tack
shop says his hooves are too small for boots, so have none.
Oh,I don't think that's right.I'm sure I've seen people discussing
boots for minis...haven't I?

It's time to let him outside, but want to cushion his steps.
Recent
x-rays showed 1-2 degree rotation LF and 5-6 degrees RF. His
turn-out will be new commercial horse mats (TSC) over hard
gravel or on sandy dirt that can be hard. Have nice cushy grassy
areas but don't trust him even with a muzzle taped up. He
chewed through the stitching on the Best Friend at the chin after
only 4 hours total wear time.
You can always use the anti-fatigue mats,double thickness,duct taped
on.Couldn't you?

P.S. Would love to post hoof photos--have figured where to get
my pics digitized (disposable digital cameras not available in
Canada), but need to find someone with a PC to load the CD
and send. The library or the CAP site cannot do it. I could mail
the CD to someone. This computer is a green iMac Power PC
G3, machine ID 406, 266 MHz, 97MB memory with a CD ROM
slot, no photo software, running OS 9.1. I don't know enough to
know if this computer is capable of sending out pics or where to
get the software (need old for the 9.1 OS). Even if I bought a
digital camera, still have the computer problem. If anyone can
help, please advise.
Yikes.I'm 'puter illiterate.
Hopefully someone else will step in both from this point of view,and
to add more to hoof information.

Lorna
Kingston

tomtriv <Lee_Skee@...>

Would love to post hoof photos--have figured where to get
my pics digitized
but need to find someone with a PC to load the CD
and send. I could mail
the CD to someone.
Hi Eva,
If I understand you correctly, you have photos on a CD that you'd like
to post. If you want to mail a copy of the CD, I'll try to post them
on the group for you or email them to you. I'm no wizard, but I'll give
it a go. You can send an email to Lee_Skee (at) rogers (dot) com to
get my mailing address.
-LeeAnne
Newmarket, Ontario

<briars@...> wrote:
He has been confined entirely to his stall and is finally not
lying
down and is moving around alot and more easily. He is on
8"
hemp bedding
Where do you get that,Eva?How do you like it?

Lorna
Kingston
Hi Lorna,

This is probably OT, but here it is:
We pick up the hemp bedding directly from the manufacturer
located just west of London Ont. We are their only equine
customer as they are rebuilding their machinery and cannot
produce enough to supply anyone else. That's why you no longer
see it in the stores. We have been using it for 6 years and
would not be able to keep ponies without it, especially now that
straw bedding is a no no for IR Mel. My lungs find shavings
intolerable, both the fine dust and the irritating volatile terpenes
that off-gas from the wood.

We love the hemp: very moisture and odour absorbent, cushy, a
good insulator, easy to handle and pick out and MUCH less
dusty than shavings. Mel would cough and itch and chew all
over after a roll in shavings, so it is much better for him too. Plus
his coat is not as dusty for me to groom. Don't know what we
would do without it.

The only problem is he tends to eat it when he thinks he needs
more food and it gives him colic -gas, tail swishing and/ or 'the
squirts' ,. The severity depends on how much he eats. Don't
know what to spray on it (that would tolerable, as I am VERY
sensitive to all chemicals and odours) to prevent the snacking.

This is my first trip to the computer since my last post Oct 29, so
sorry for the long delay. Mel's feeling better and wanted to trot for
exercise yesterday. Hated to do it, but I had to tweak the trim
as he was forging only days after the farrier's visit. Still think we
need hoof guru input. These hooves are driving me nuts.

Feeling frazzled ,
Eva
Windsor Ont