Topics

Please critique Cruiser’s 5/31/07 trim.

kk_fisher

Hello, I've been working with Abby on Cruiser's trim for the last few
months. Cruiser is a 19 yr old ASB/QH gelding. I've posted on the
IR/Cushings list before. I've got new pictures posted from his trim
yesterday, and would love some critiques from Abby and the other hoof
gurus.

A quick history:

-April 2006 - Lame with front left heel pain for one month
-June 2006 - Pulled front shoes (has been barefoot behind for
4+ years)
-September 2006– lame on front left from bruising
-October 2006 - had mild laminitis in both front feet.
Was on bute and rest for 10 days.
-November 2006 – got insulin & glucose testing, and the
ratio was 2.6 - confirming insulin resistance
-March 2007 – got front hoof xrays that showed loooong toes
and low angle to coffin bone (per vet) – see photos at
end of the new bunch today. Per Abby's advice, we
started beveling his toes back quite a bit, and leaving
a bit more heel height, and that seems to have helped.
-late April 2007 – I FINALLY got on the DDT bandwagon, and
truly put Cruiser on a low NSC diet – he gets 18
pounds of TC Safe Starch, 2-3 pounds of grass hay,
and his supplements, daily. And a grazing muzzle.

I've been learning how to maintain his trim myself, I've been working
with a local barefoot trimmer, and I've been working with Abby
Bloxsom online. She's given me some great advice, and I've been able
to push my trimmer to really get at those long toes. He's a good
guy, but pretty cautious and doesn't want to sore the horses he
trims. Here are pictures of his most recent trim. He didn't really
bevel the toes back much this time, and I think maybe he should have.

In the last 3 weeks or so, I've been rasping the toes to keep them
back, and I've noticed some pink bruising in the lamina in the front
feet – could that be the lamintis from last October, growing out?
There's also been a bruise on his front left sole at the quarter. It
shoes in the photos. Also, his soles and frogs in all 4 feet seem….
Almost flakey, or "layered" looking… the soles are darkened .. what's
up with all that? Since we started seriously beveling his toes in
late March, his front heels have started to open up a bit, and I'm
pleased about that. You can see Cruiser's feet and even some video
for the last year at his website:
http://www.greylynxweb.com/cruiser/ . (I haven't posted the most
recent photos there yet, but I will this weekend. The new photos are
up on this board.)

Cruiser's quarters in all 4 feet have been growing out quite a bit,
and have been flaring and pulling away at the ground, so the trimmer
did quite a bit of work there. I think that the last of the
old, "looser" hoof wall is finally hitting the ground, and it makes
the flare look worse. Now that the trimmer trimmed the quarters away
so much, his front feet (particularly the left, which has been the
more problematic of the two), seem much more oval shaped than I would
like - it seems to emphasize the long toes. The trimmer only trimmed
to the white line – I'm thinking the toes should be beveled behind
that again. What do you guys think?

That's my big question – should the toes be beveled back again behind
the lamina? It really seemed to help him last time, and we got away
from that toe-first landing, mostly. The trimmer confessed to me that
it really alarmed him to do that last time, so I think it's been a
good experience for him. And it was sure the right thing for
Cruiser. Thank you, Abby!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kristine and Cruiser

Abby Nemec

kk_fisher wrote:

Here are pictures of his most recent trim. He didn't really bevel the toes back much this time, and I think maybe he should have.
I think maybe you're right.

In the last 3 weeks or so, I've been rasping the toes to keep them back, and I've noticed some pink bruising in the lamina in the front feet � could that be the lamintis from last October, growing out?
Yup. You'll probably see as you work those toes down that you file right through that pink patch. It shakes you up a little when you first see it, but honestly it's so far from where the blood really is that you know in your head it can't be new.

There's also been a bruise on his front left sole at the quarter. It shoes in the photos.
I think that one's old too. You haven't been working the sole down yet, so it hasn't come off, but dollars to donuts you will see healthy sole under it when it does.

Also, his soles and frogs in all 4 feet seem�. Almost flakey, or "layered" looking�
NOrmal. It's aging without exfoliating. It will pop out when it's ready. I HAVE had false sole that doesn't want to let go cause problems, but it's uncommon, and I don't think that's the case here.

the soles are darkened .. what's up with all that?
You tell me and we'll both know. When you're with the horse all the time, sometimes you can figure that out, but I wouldn't sweat it when his rehab has been pretty straightforward so far.

Cruiser's quarters in all 4 feet have been growing out quite a bit, and have been flaring and pulling away at the ground, so the trimmer did quite a bit of work there. I think that the last of the old, "looser" hoof wall is finally hitting the ground, and it makes the flare look worse. Now that the trimmer trimmed the quarters away so much, his front feet (particularly the left, which has been the more problematic of the two), seem much more oval shaped than I would like - it seems to emphasize the long toes. The trimmer only trimmed to the white line � I'm thinking the toes should be beveled behind that again. What do you guys think?
Bingo. Put a BIG rocker on that toe and pull the wall back inside the white line. See where the weightbearing sole is inside the wall at the toe? That is your toe callus. The front edge of that callus (at the WL) is where the front edge of his breakover should be. Bring that rolled edge around to the toe pillars, carry it about 3/4" up the wall (you can see where the flare is right above the ground line - go that far up). You'll see when you do that that the lateral view of his foot puts the breakover in a more realistic place.

He is so much farther along in his rehab than the laminitic feet we usually see on EC that I'm sure it's alarming to many people to see that I'm suggesting taking so much of his foot down, but his soles are filling in, his frogs are now weightbearing, and there's good concavity showing. This is how the foot is supposed to function, but if you're not brave enough to take the last few steps to push the foot into real weightbearing and function you'll keep the horse in "trim every couple weeks" and "needs his boots a lot" and "he foundered last year so we have to be careful" mode.

I also will agree a little with Dr John about ticking his bars down a little smidge. Don't think he needs his heels down yet - you'll know for sure when that happens, but if you can unweight the bars that will probably ask his frog to do a little more.

Keep up the good work!