Possible abscess

Bobbie Day

One of my geldings (Baltimore) which is a rescue we’ve had for about four years now recently came up lame. My husband thinks maybe he rolled into the fence but my gut is telling me abscess. There is no swelling, no heat, but he’s completely lame on the right. We managed to get a boot on the sore foot but he refuses to put any weight on the opposite foot. He’s done this before, had a horrible immune system so I put him on the same diet as Desi, grass hay balanced. He also gets phyto quench from Ukulele for his immune system, he has none of the signs for IR, he’s losing weight (probably a 6), no fat pads or muscle loss. He had a horrible infection but that’s cleared up.
I guess my question is can a bad trim cause this? He came to us with duck feet and no matter what farrier I get they never take the walls down, and he’s even worse now because we can’t get anyone. My husband tries but no one seems to get his trim tight.
I feel so bad for him , just waiting to see if a abscess emerges . I just can’t figure out what’s going on. I did have him tested when he got here I really don’t think he’s IR but looking for answers for my boy.
Ps I’ve had him X-rayed last time, nothing there.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Bobbie,

Sorry to hear your boy is having problems. A sudden, pronounced lameness in only one foot is the classic presentation for an abscess, esp. if there is no visible sign of injury. But it sounds as if he is actually lame on both fronts as he won't put weight on the opposite foot once you got a boot on the one that appeared to be the really lame one?

Having on the same diet as Desi is a good thing as it will provide him with a solid nutritional basis to become healthier. As you are aware, the trim could certainly be a component here. You mentioned you had him tested- could you please provide the actual results? Do you know his age? Can you provide copies of the radiographs you had done? Also, need to see pix of his feet. If he's not PPID/IR, you can send all the rads/pix to me directly and I'll put them in an album here.

Bobbie Day

Thank you Lavinia,
It’s been awhile since the testing was done , probably when he got here, I plan on having him tested when we do Desi in a month or two.
The xrays were of his leg and jaw, very long story.
This boy has had a very hard life before coming here, had a bad abscess in his jaw for several months before they found the issue. I think he was used as a tripping horse. He is the kindest soul and I just adore him but it’s been a challenge.
I’ll try to get some pictures today, I’m more than a little ashamed of his feet 😞
It’s been more than we can keep up with honestly, still waiting on a farrier.
I inspected him again last night and there doesn’t seem to be any soreness in the leg or around the coronary band, he just refuses to stand on it. Still nothing coming through the bottom.
I’ll get on that as soon as I can, thank you as always.

Bobbie Day

Lavinia
we have been soaking 2x day per your instructions and packing with poultice. I just spotted a possible abscess starting to blow on his coronary band. Obviously it won’t help to pack the bottom so what do you suggest to help in this area?
i am desperate to get him comfortable enough for a trim, I have a farrier finally coming out.
Will jherb help at all ?

thanks

Lavinia Fiscaletti

You can wrap the coronary band with a wet diaper/towel/cloth that is soaked in an epsom salt solution. Then cover the whole thing in some vet wrap and boot the foot. You can also use the poultice on the coronary band as long as you can keep it moist. If it dries out, it doesn't really help.

J-herb will increase circulation, which helps to move abscesses out. But without a good trim in place, the accelerated hoof growth can make the trim get even further out of whack more rapidly.

Once the abscess starts to drain, he should feel more comfortable almost immediately.