question about self trimming

Jean

Since I live in a rural area of SE WI and my current farrier is very old school and reluctant to learn updated trimming skills for laminitic horses. He Wanted to put reverse heartbar shoes on my horse. I said no shoes. I showed him the mark ups for trimming: : " want me to take that much off". with photos right in front of him with colored lines were to trim, the realigning trim was still not completed. So, with the background said, I want to learn to do the trimmings myself. Any advice?
I will have a farrier coming from an hour away to do the realigning trim and give me pointers, but he is not able to do the trimmings on a regular basis due to health and distance.
Thank you,

Jean

threehorsefarm

I have the Under the Horse Dvd series, as well as In the Trenches, both by Pete Ramey if you are interested.   Also check out Ida Hammer’s classes at Mackinaw Dells.   Lots of us had to learn, you can do it!

Robyn and Slim
Kansas 2013

Jean

Thank you Robyn! Greatly appreciated

Bobbie Day

Pete has many wonderful dvd’s and books available. Ida is great about helping people too.
Many of us have just gotten a couple of good rasps, stands and or knifes and with Lavinia’s guidance just went for it.
You can do it, once your trim is in place you can just rasp about every week.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Pete's book and DVDs are good resource, as well as his website, where you can read the trimming articles:

https://www.hoofrehab.com/

You can rent many of his DVDs from Giddy Up Flicks:

http://www.giddyupflix.com/

Paige Poss has an excellent website:

http://www.ironfreehoof.com/

Ida Hammer is another resource you can check out:

https://mackinawdells2.com/about-me.html

Ask questions about anything you want to know or don't understand and take advantage of all the mark-ups in the ECIR archives as every set of mark-ups also includes a discussion that outlines what is being done and why.

Jan 2005, RI

Moderator/ECIR Support

Jean

Great thanks,
I have ordered Petes DVDs. Read and printed several of his articles. I also have looked into makindawdells2 site. I am on the mission to learn all I can from the appropriate sites/ppl to achieve what is best for my horses.
Thank you all for your knowledge and assistance in driving the bus.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Merlin thanks you for taking on the job of driving the bus!

Jan 2005, RI

Moderator/ECIR Support