Sloughed bars

VickieH

Out with the old, in with the new?

My gelding is about 12-14 weeks out from his toxic laminitis event; post surgical salmonella infection. I have been re-aligning his hoofs (17-18 degrees rotation with medial sinking) and he has been walking comfortably in cloud boots. Last week as I was cleaning his hoof, his bars on his right front hoof just easily flaked off. His sole at the tip of P3 was also much more sensitive and easily depressable. In the last 48 hrs he is more painful, going from an Obel 1b to 2, mostly due to his discomfort of that right front.

So Ramey says that the P3 sole thinning is to be expected in horses who have rotated this much at this time in healing and to support this ( I dremmeled a crescent into the hoof pad to accommodate it as Ramey suggests). The sloughing of his bars was surprising to me. Any thoughts about how to keep on supporting his sole remodel and his bars?

He continues to land flat-footed but should I not continue his PT walking? We have been walking for 15-20 minutes twice daily and he has a nice paddock attached to his stall. Should I limit his movement until his sole under P3 gets less "spooky"?

fyi, I am an equine veterinarian but am semi-retired so I rely on colleagues for expensive equipment use like rads and such. ;)

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Edited

Hi Vickie,

Sounds like you're doing everything correctly at the moment. If the bars flaked off, they were ready to be reduced in size. Just be sure to reevaluate your current heel height to be sure it doesn't also need a reduction. Your padding/booting strategy seems good.

That soft spot may be an abscess that will be draining shortly - you could try poulticing the sole with Numotizine, then wrapping it before putting the boot back on. The Numotizine is pink and changes color in areas where there is drainage. If you have any concerns that it's anything more, please have some rads done to rule out anything more ominous.

I would suggest not forcing walking until he is sound again but continue to allow him to self-exercise in his attached paddock.

If you would like any input on the trim itself, we'll need a full set of hoof pbotos

Would you please sign your posts with your name, general location and year of joining. Unfortunately, signatures do not carry over from group to group.

Thanks for your help with this bit of admin.

Jan 2005, RI

Moderator/ECIR Support

VickieH

Thanks for the input Lavinia!

I ordered the Numotizine. What a helpful poultice that will be! Can't wait to try it as I can not tell if he's draining from the bottom or if the wetness is from all the heat and humidity.

The day after I posted, he went back to an Obel 1b and almost 1a; just cruising about his stall and paddock. He was even turning pretty normally.

I'm pretty comfortable with the progress of his trim so far. In another couple of weeks, if his comfort and progress continues to be positive, I'll have my colleague come out and re-rad him. I think then I'll take some good photos that we can link with recent rads for your evaluation. :)

Again, thank you for your helpful advise.

Yours!
Vickie
FL, Aug 2021

Lavinia Fiscaletti

You're welcome, Vickie.

Another thought: if you aren't already doing this, powder the bottoms of his feet with an athlete's foot powder - like Gold Bond or the generic versions. That will help absorb moisture when in boots a lot, plus it will help control any greeblies that may try to set up housekeeping in that dark, moist environment. Some people have used Diatomaceous Earth the same way.

Jan 2005, RI

Moderator/ECIR Support