Topics

snow packing in hooves

Bonnie

This is a long shot, but has anyone found a way to prevent snow from balling up in their horse's hooves? I tried the "Just spray the soles with non-stick cooking spray" route and it was useless. When the temperature is just right ( or Wrong!) it packs into my pony's feet and forms a round surface. Imagine slicing 1/3 off a grapefruit. That is the size and shape of the compressed snow/ice stuck to his feet. I see his pasterns flexing as he tries to stand on 4 round things, not so bad when he is walking in snow but dangerous when he comes indoors.

Can't get the snow-pack out of his feet before he comes in: it will not come out till it softens a bit. Dangerous on concrete! He once had his hinds slide out from under as he turned to enter the stall. He fell and took me down with him. Now I keep the aisle sprinkled with shavings for traction. Boots are impractical. Temps here range from freezing down to minus 25 F during his winter turnout time. Thanks in advance!

Anne Coull

Doesnt salt help melt ice by lowering the melting point?

--

Anne Coull
m| 0439 135 513

gypsylassie

I don't have any advice on preventing hoof snow balls, but if you can have him in snow or deep shavings so he can stand while you lift a hoof, there is an aggressive hoof pick that can sometimes break up and remove them.   It's called Ultimate Hoof Pick.   I don't use it for regular hoof cleaning because it digs too easily into the sole, but it can be pretty good at getting those snow balls.
Laura K Chappie & Beau over the bridge
2011 N IL

Sherry Morse

Hi Bonnie,

My first question is "does he have to have shoes on?" Then, if so, "do you have snowball pads on him?"  I've seen some people using dental impression material to fill in the hooves with horses that are shod.
--
Sherry and Scutch (and Scarlet over the bridge)
EC Primary Response

Michele Einarson

Shoes will definitely make the problem worse.  When I lived in cold country, we used Teflon spray, like they sell for snow shovels and snow blowers.  I got it at the hardware store.
--
Michele & Mosey
Feb 2019

Donna Hedicke

We wrap them in duct tape.  Have to change it daily, but our navicular gelding was walking on 3 inch balls (shoes with 1/2 pads)

You'll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

--
a donde vas farm

Lavinia Fiscaletti

While duct tape will keep the snow out, it makes for a very slippery surface when walking on snow/ice, esp. when it's compacted.

Jan 2005, RI

Moderator/ECIR Support

Mel V

I have the same thing going on, the barefoot horses don't get snow balls too badly, but the shod horses do.  I keep a hammer at the edge of the snow, before I go into the barn, and I use the claw of the hammer to strike the ice-balls out.  I don't hit straight down towards the sole, but at angle, as I obviously don't want to bruise the foot.

I've found this to work better than any hoofpick over the past several winter.
--
Mel & Bali
Joined ECIR 2/23/2020