Sore after trim

Andrea Richter

Hi my foundered pony with PPID is extremely sore after her last trim. She was also sore after her previous trim. Both were very aggressive, lots of sole, heel and toe removed. Trimmer advised icing. A bit nervous that this would restrict circulation. Thoughts?

she does not currently have a case history, but we follow the ECIR protocols and she has been on pergolide for 5 years. She is wearing boots right now

Thanks

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Andrea,

Sorry to hear you girl is having issues. If your pony is PPID and/or IR, all discussions should take place on the main ECIR group - including hoof ones -  so let's continue this conversation over there.

Without any photos, I'm only guessing, but from your description, my first thoughts are that there is too much sole, bar and frog being removed from the bottom of the pony's feet. With a foundered pony, there is likely sinking and the need for the hoof capsule to remain vertically taller than it would be in a healthy foot. If that is the case, icing won't help as the problem is that thin soles were made thinner. Start with boots with thick, forgiving padding to see if that makes her more comfortable. Backing up toes shouldn't make her sore but lowering heels if they are run forward and already too low in relation to the front half of the foot will definitely contribute. It's also possible that the trims are mobilizing trapped collections from past damage, which would mean abscesses brewing that need to drain.

For more specific guidance, I'll need a full set of hoof photos. You can create an album in the case history sub-group to upload them, here's the link for what is needed:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki/1472

Creating a case history wold also be helpful so that we can see if there may be any other factors playing into this. If the soreness has been occurring in the last couple of months, the seasonal rise may also be a factor if her pergolide dose isn't high enough. When were her ACTH, insulin and glucose last tested?

Jan 2005, RI

Moderator/ECIR Support

Andrea Richter

Thanks Lavinia, she is both PPID and IR. I will take some pics and create a case history for her. She is in boots with pads and that has helped. I won’t ice

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Glad that the padded boots are making her more comfortable.

Jut let us know on the Main ECIR group when you have the photos posted and case history up.

Jan 2005, RI

Moderator/ECIR Support