Topics

Supportive releasing pad options?

J Foust

 Hello!

Lavina,  thank you for your wonderfully informative comment to my last question! I learned a lot which was my goal ☺️ So thank you! ☺️

Regarding pads, what types of materials would provide support but still allow for pressure and release?  And does such a thing exist in a low profile that could be used in boots?   I’m not thinking a wedge pad per se. But if such a material exists I suppose it could be glued together in several layers to create the desired wedge height. What comes to mind right off is rubber. 🧐🤔

I’ve wandered around hardware stores and auto parts stores and craft stores and wondered about the utility of some of the items. Just wondering if there’s a material that works wonderfully that I haven’t yet found mentioned in a post this group. 🙂

Thanks so much!
--
Joella Foust
Montana

Mary M.

Edited

HI Joella,
I am a big fan of Flex Hoof Boots. I did 8 miles last weekend through mud, creek, off trail, rocks, hills basically the whole gambit. My mare did not take a wrong step and some areas were muddy and we went up steep hills.  But you asked about pads. The same company makes Kevlar pads that i like in my boots.  My mare does not necessarily need them, but she seems to go better than ever in her life.

The owner is Lindy and she is super nice and helpful if you call her.  Hope this helps in your search.

https://flexhoofbootstampa.com/collections/accessories-for-your-flex-hoof-boots

--
Mary Marzec, Chelsea MI, 2012
Mary/Katie Case HIstory

Joella, there are All types of pads.  Easy boot has comfort pads, 3 densities. Another company is HoofPads?  Can not quite remember.  I have had clients use yoga mats, the puzzle mates for long term standing even carpet.  It all depends on what your horse needs.  I work on a foundered horse that has rock hard hooves. I tried using a baby diper in his Trails.  Cut to fit, then added water.  Did not know that the inside part would swell up so much.  Then since the diper was cut, all the inside squished out.  What a sight.  It still did what i wanted, soften the hoof.  Next i tried a med feminan pad.  That worked a lot better.  The thing about hooves, is you really need to think out of the box.  It helps alot to ask question, as you are doing.  Good luck
--
Diann Kuzma
One Hoof at a Time

Kirsten Rasmussen

I am a big fan of the Easy Care pads, all 3 densities.  The softer ones conform more over time, the firmer ones retain their shape better but still squish when weight is applied.

The interlocking floor mat foam did not last more than a day for me, it just flattened out.

--
Kirsten Rasmussen
Kitimat, BC, Canada

--