Trimming

Jean

I have taken on the trimming aspect of Merlin's feet since the two failed farrier attempts.
I have only be doing rasping and taking back the toes, mostly on his fronts and reducing the flaring.
however, I am not certain as to how much more and where on the hoof he needs trimming.

Mary M.

Hi Jean,
Kudos to you for taking active role in your horses hoof trimming. I am not sure where you are located, but i highly recommend Ida Hammer for learning about trimming your own horse. Her website is https://mackinawdells2.com/index.html

many of the trainings and information are online and i believe you can order "model hoofs" to practice on. I am attending her 3 day workshop for the 3rd time here in Michigan in a couple weeks. I took her trainings  twice and this is my 3rd. I always learn something new and good to get refresher. I have been trimming my mare for a couple years after not getting good results from farrier.

good luck
Mary
--
Mary Marzec, Chelsea MI, 2012