Topics

trimming goals

Abby Nemec

MODERATORS - this isn't exactly "comments on a specific horse" discussion - if the thread should be carried to ECHoof that's fine by me but my brain is too feeble to make decisions about things like that right now. Posting to both lists.

---- Mandy Woods <bittersweetfarm@bealenet.com> wrote:

I'm gonna give you a very brief statement on trimming these guys. Abby is
our farrier and she must be busy!
Understatement of the year ...

so until she responds.....
You did great, Mandy! A couple more comments ... the simplest/most basic approach to trimming the laminitic foot (not always EASY, but uncomplicated anyway) is to lower the heels so that the coronet band is about at a 30 degree angle, and then pull in the "footprint" of the foot so that the hoof is bearing weight just outside the edge of the coffin bone all the way around. How do you know where that is? If you look at the coronet band from the top, you will see that some front feet are rounder, and some are more triangular-ish shaped (usually related to draft ancestry) - but they should NOT be oval. Trim the footprint to correspond with the coronet band shape. Hind feet should have points on the toes, not squared off.

The eventual shape that the foot will take on is going to depend on the footing where the horse lives and works. Harder footing will produce a more compact, upright foot with lots of dense, thick sole (like the "mustang" feet that many barefooters advocate). Softer footing will produce a longer foot with less sole, more concavity, more visible frog, and more toe.

Not every horse can tolerate the heel lowering right off the bat, and if the hoof walls are weak, heels underrun, frog and heel bulbs atrophied you'll want to be careful about doing it. "Flat" feet, thin soles, severe rotation are all other conditions that can cause things to get really complicated really fast.

Hope this helps.
Abby