very thin sole

whitehorsebullet

I have two horses. one is 24 with cushings/IR and the other is IR. I
have had them both fairly controlled until recently, for a variety of
reasons. I am in the process of getting their diet tight again, but
here is my immeidate dilema. I had them both x-rayed this morning
because after some rain and unintentioned grazing, they were both
ouchy. The cushings one (Bullet) more than the other. Anyway, x-rays
were fine as far as no rotation/sinking, but what they do have is thin
soles as well as some stretching in the white line. Bullet has had
this for going on two years (after a founder), especially one hoof,
dangerously thin. The other horse (sonny) isn't as bad. They are both
barefoot and are trimmed by a barefoot trimmer. They vet says I need
some sort of padding and/or shoes to take the wieght off the walls and
allow sole to grow. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Ann-Marie, Bullet and Sonny

Jeanette

Ann-Marie -- Does your trimmer fit boots and pads? If s/he does, a
quick call might solve the immediate problem. There's a wealth of info
about boots and pads on the barefoot trim groups. For the last year-
plus, I've been using EasyCare Epics for a mare with the same kind of
problem as your Bullet: IR/Cushings with **very** thin soles &
improving ;-) stretched white line. (In fact, I've just posted new x-
rays in the mare's album, "Manda.") The Epics stay on well and she
seems reasonably comfortable in them.

EasyCare certainly isn't the only good boot out there, but it's the one
I have the most experience with. I'm sure others will chime in. Good
luck.

Jeanette
Colorado

J Amick

When this happened to my gelding and he eventually penetrated both front coffin bones,  the support that I had tried was numerous.   But  to save you alot of energy,  time and money,   long story short I have had him in  a pair of Soft Ride boots now for nearly a year.    There is a soft gel insert that provides a tremendous amt of support for the entire bottom of the foot,  not just a hoof wall.     I have gone thru one full set of gel inserts,  but the boots are made to last forever.    Pair run around $175.  and I'd call and explain what your problem exactly is.     They were great to give me alot of info and help. Also when the mud sucked off one of the boots,  they were prompt in getting me another.

http://www.soft-ride.com/boots.html

Now,  the real question here is this....What are you doing to grow new sole?    Why is this remaining so thin?      Is the Cushings horse being treated with meds?   Did you have the testing done of bloodwork ups to make certain he has no lyme disease?    Lyme is what did the feet in on my fella.
Have fought this now for 6 yrs.    He was just put into shoes with Vet Tech poured in pads for a full support system,  only -  the boots part.
The diet is extremely important but make certain you have addressed the other things that I have mentioned.
Judy-PA

whitehorsebullet wrote:

[...]

woops,  hit the send button too soon....  Should have read....only  NO  boots....
Judy-PA

--- In ECHoof@..., J Amick <happyday23@...> wrote:

http://www.soft-ride.com/boots.html
Now, the real question here is this....What are you doing to grow
new sole?--------- They are both on a low NSC diet and have had
minerals balanced to their hay and I have just added a hoof
supplement about month ago.-------------
Why is this remaining so thin? that is the million dollar
question.. Is the Cushings horse being
treated with meds?--------- yes, 1.25 mg pergolide------- Did you
my fella.------- Lyme disease really isn't an issue where we live.--
----
Have fought this now for 6 yrs. He was just put into shoes with
Vet
Tech poured in pads for a full support system, only - the boots
part. ---I am really trying to keep him barefoot, but i am starting
to wonder....any thoughts?---------

whitehorsebullet wrote:

--- In ECHoof@yahoogroups.com, J Amick ...> wrote:
Did you
have the testing done of bloodwork ups to
> make certain he has no lyme disease? Lyme is what did the feet
in on
> my fella.------- Lyme disease really isn't an issue where we live.--
----

Where do you live?     Lyme disease is just about everywhere.   My vet's  partner in the business is also a vet initially from Rumania.    Last time he was here we talked extensively about ticks.   He told me in Rumania there were NEVER  any ticks  above the 45th paralle latitude line. Too cold.   Guess what,  that is now NOT  the case.    There are ticks now reported in Norway and Sweden,  and even into Greenland.   Go figure.

Dr. Kellon has reported on this problem also,  and said, "ticks are just about everywhere now".
I share this with you,  because there is a real problem of no sole growth,   and it isn't diet,  and now
not the Cushings if he's on meds.    You still have a chronic inflammation coming from somewhere.

Judy-PA

Karen <karen@...>

I also used the Soft Rides for Tilly for two years. Then we
advanced to Hoofwings. The Hoofwings are great too. You maybe able
to use the Hoofwings with a pad.
Tilly has thin soles and I was just wondering myself if we will ever
get any sole growth.
Is it common for horses that are IR-cushings and in their twenties
not to grow a thick sole.
We have a pad in her Hoofwings that is shaped like a shoe to keep her
really comfortable.
Thanks,
Karen, Cha tilly, Tommi and Koko--- In ECHoof@..., J