Topics

"wet" feet

whitehorsebullet

My question is about keeping Bullet's feet dry. If you refer to the
pictures I have posted, you can see the condition of the left foot
especially. How "dangerous" is it if he feet get wet? I am fighting
a losing battle trying to keep them dry. I have tried 4 kinds of
boots, thick plastic, and many other ideas, that sometimes work or
sometimes don't. Can someone tell me what is the danger of getting
them wet? He is stalled at night in dry conditions, so it is not like
he is standing in water and mud all day, but we just had 4 inches of
rain, and the pasture is wet and will be for awhile. My farrier just
said not to get them wet....Thanks,
Ann-Marie and Bullet

John Stewart

Hi Ann-Marie,

Oddly enough, it may be the right foot that is more likely to get a problem, but from mud rather than wetness.

The horses around here have been standing in water or mud for a month or so, but a few sunny days this week have dried things up a bit. The 8 lame horses I have seen this month have all been "pus in the foot"!

The constant wet can soften the feet, the sole or the white line, but it is the mud that is our real problem. It is the grit in the mud that pushes up any defect or blocks off any drainage from punctures in the sole.

In Bullet's left foot, the exposed laminae have a layer of keratin that protects them. If they were to be constantly wet and soft then they could get damaged. It is in the right foot that mud is more likely to push up between the rigid hoof wall and the sole through the weakened laminae. This may cause separation and pain (an "abscess") , rather than just sliding up over the exposed laminae of the left foot.

Mud bad, wetness not so bad.

Cheers

John

My question is about keeping Bullet's feet dry. If you refer to the
pictures I have posted, you can see the condition of the left foot
especially. How "dangerous" is it if he feet get wet? I am fighting
a losing battle trying to keep them dry. I have tried 4 kinds of
boots, thick plastic, and many other ideas, that sometimes work or
sometimes don't. Can someone tell me what is the danger of getting
them wet? He is stalled at night in dry conditions, so it is not like
he is standing in water and mud all day, but we just had 4 inches of
rain, and the pasture is wet and will be for awhile. My farrier just
said not to get them wet....Thanks,
Ann-Marie and Bullet

Yahoo! Groups Links

Abby Nemec

whitehorsebullet wrote:

How "dangerous" is it if he feet get wet? I am fighting
a losing battle trying to keep them dry.

He is stalled at night in dry conditions, so it is not like
he is standing in water and mud all day, but we just had 4 inches of
rain, and the pasture is wet and will be for awhile.
Is there a place he can hang out in the pasture that is more "dry-ish"? Certainly being able to dry out at night is a real benefit. Can you spray his feet with a bleach or iodine solution when you bring him in for the night? That might help to keep down the population of bad critters living in his hooves.

We had about 9 months of pretty much continuous mud last year - it was horrid, really bad. We had lots of abscessing and lots of bruising because the feet turned to mush in the mud, but the horses who had the chance to go into a bedded stall & dry out for 8-12 hours a day were MUCH less affected than those who lived in the mud 24/7.