Topics

When is it safe to ride?

whitehorsebullet

My horse is recovering from laminitis/founder. He is no longer
rotated and his "new" hoof is about 1/4 new . He is showing no signs
of lameness and hasn't for a couple of months. My farrier says to
wait basically till he has a whole new hoof. and yes, he is still on
front shoes. I plan on switching to a barefoot trimmer, but it is
proving to be harder to find one locally than i thought. I would love
to start doing some light riding on him, but of course i don't want to
jeapardize his health. Thanks,
Ann-Marie and Bullet

John Stewart

Hi Ann-Marie,

There are too many "it depends" to give a straight answer to this. Some of the things it depends on are;
How severe was the laminitis episode?
Was it the first time or has he had it before?
Do you think you know what set it off?
Was there rotation of the pedal bone and, if so, was the rotation relative to the hoof capsule, the line of the pastern or to the ground?
If IR or Cushing's were involved in setting the laminitis off, have you sorted the diet or giving pergolide?
What is the angle of the trim of the hoof; high heel or low heel?
Are they ordinary shoes, or is there support to the frog or the back of the foot?
Has the breakover of the shoe been brought back or is it just a normal shoe positioned normally on the foot?

If trimmed and shod so that the levering forces are not minimised, then the longer you will have to wait to exercise him safely.
Can you post photographs of Bullet's feet?
(photos taken from ground level -camera on the ground, from in front of the foot, directly from the side and one of the sole as well)
Cheers

John

My horse is recovering from laminitis/founder. He is no longer
rotated and his "new" hoof is about 1/4 new . He is showing no signs
of lameness and hasn't for a couple of months. My farrier says to
wait basically till he has a whole new hoof. and yes, he is still on
front shoes. I would love

--- In ECHoof@yahoogroups.com, "John Stewart" <john_the_vet@...>
wrote:

Hi Ann-Marie,

There are too many "it depends" to give a straight answer to
this. Some of
the things it depends on are;
How severe was the laminitis episode? moderate in one hoof/slight
in other
Was it the first time or has he had it before?first time
Do you think you know what set it off? i think a twisted shoe
possibly or maybe Cushings
Was there rotation of the pedal bone and, if so, was the rotation
relative
to the hoof capsule, the line of the pastern or to the ground?
that i am not sure of. i will get you a picture of his radiographs
(old and new)
If IR or Cushing's were involved in setting the laminitis off,
have you
sorted the diet or giving pergolide? he is on 1 mg pergolide
What is the angle of the trim of the hoof; high heel or low heel?
i will post pictures soon
Are they ordinary shoes, or is there support to the frog or the
back of the
foot? there was support with a regular shoe until this last
shoeing when farrier didn't think he needed it anymore
Has the breakover of the shoe been brought back or is it just a
normal shoe
positioned normally on the foot? don't know

If trimmed and shod so that the levering forces are not minimised,
then the
longer you will have to wait to exercise him safely.
Can you post photographs of Bullet's feet? i will hopefully take
some tomorrow and post them.