Topics

When to replace hoof pads

I finally found the right pads of Cayuse's  Clouds -- Easycare Mint Green soft 12 mm pads. She likes them so much she immediately acted like a jughead, bucking and jumping. How do I know when it's time to replace the pads? There's a huge lead time to find any kind of pads, so I need to buy replacements yesterday.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Lavinia Fiscaletti

If they become flat as pancakes, with no recoil left at all, they should be replaced. You want them to conform to the contours of the bottom of her foot precisely so mark which pad goes with which foot. It's also likely Cayuse will let you know when the pads are no longer serving her adequately.