White creamy stuff from frogs?

Kelly

After each cold spell my pony's heel & frogs go into an extreme growth
spurt - seems like almost overnight! Maybe because she is hardly moving?

Anyway... yesterday I thought I would take some off her heels but had
to trim off some frog first because they were overgrown again. When I
made the cut on one of them I had creamy - milky substance come out
from a slit inside her frog. She has these slits in her frogs every
winter but this is the first time I actually saw something come from them.

My vet was here yesterday for other horses and said it was thrush if
it came from the frog.( She didn't look at her though) Is it thrush
or absess?

I still have to take more off but I wanted to get advise on this
first. Should I take more off & soak her feet in betadine & sugar?
Last year I tried everything with her and nothing helped until spring
came and she walked around more to keep her feet from going into these
extreme growth spurts.

Thanks,
Kelly

Kelly

Can ANYBODY tell me what would be a creamy milky substance that comes
out of a frog?

Thank you,
Kelly

Mandy Woods

Kelly,
I have no idea what the creamy milky stuff could be.  I have seen frogs turn white and crumble at the slightest poke of a hoofpick from fungus.  I think I would try WhiteLightning or CleanTrax first.  It could be a form of thrush.   Have a look at www.healthyhoof.com and see what Linda recommends.  Also,  you could try USNEA which is sold at health food stores.  Its a tree lichen with antibiotic properties.  You just put a couple drops on the frog everyday.  Can  you post pictures of it??
Mandy and Asher in VA

Kelly

Can you post pictures of it??
There is no way to take pictures of it because it was when I trimmed
off a part of the frog it oozed out this white milky stuff. The
texture of that part of the frog seemed just fine other then the slit
the stuff oozed out of it. It was a clean looking slit not diseased.

I just thought maybe someone else has seen this before. I am planning
on doing Clean Trax soon though.
Thanks Mandy

Abby Nemec

Kelly wrote:
There is no way to take pictures of it because it was when I trimmed
off a part of the frog it oozed out this white milky stuff. The
texture of that part of the frog seemed just fine other then the slit
the stuff oozed out of it. It was a clean looking slit not diseased.
Have never seen any white creamy stuff in the foot, anywhere, healthy or diseased ... curious, but it would make me a little nervous. The white cheesy stuff that I see frequently is not fungus - it's just healthy frog letting go of unneeded frog. The stuff that's left behind is healthy, the stuff that comes off is like the crumbly white sole - just going away.

-A

Claire Vale <clairevale@...>

Hi Kelly,

I've seen this from time to time, and variously thought of it as a small
abscess trapped in the frog tissue, or 'just one of those things' <G>.
I've also heard it described as 'trapped sweat' although I never could
make sense of that explanation. It seldom seems to be causing an issue;
the surrounding tissue is usually fairly healthy, the horse doesn't
usually complain that it is sore, and once it's gone it's gone. I do
wonder if in fact there are more of these occurring than we realise in
less healthy frogs, but because they're less healthy it's easier for the
frog to split on it's own and let the fluid out, so we hardly ever see
it in those feet - maybe that's where a lot of those little splits and
raggedy bits begin though.

Anyways, if the frog looks overall healthy, I wouldn't really worry
about it <G>. If there's any question of infection (an active abscess,
or thrush / fungus / yeast), it would be worth treating though, just in
case.

Claire Vale
New Zealand