Topics

White line prolapse

Maria Duran

Hi all,

What's the reason for an exhuberant white line protuding over the sole and hoof wall? It is not just a bit but quite evident. The white line is a bit stretched, not too much but the white line is very exhuberant and bends over the sole and hoof wall.

Thank you.

María Durán.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Maria,

Long, overgrown toes with laminar wedge distort everything about the landmarks in the front half of the foot. The "white line" is a seam between the lamina and the sole that starts at the edge of the coffin bone and grows downward. If the toe pulls it forward, it stretches forward. The white line can't protrude over, or cover the sole as it is formed by connection between the sole and the wall lamina.

Maria Duran

Hi Lavinia,

Thank you! I have sent you 2 pics so that you can see what I am talking about.

It looks like white line material.

Maria Duran

I forgot to say, from 11 h to 17 h it looks like overgrown white line material then distorted covering part of the sole and hoof wall. I am intrigued with this. I had never seen something like this.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

When water gets soaked up by this crumbling material, it will swell a bit and become more pronounced. Healthy white line doesn't do that as it has tight structural integrity. Stretched white line is more porous.

Maria Duran

Thank you very much Lavinia.

THANKS Maria for asking this question!!

And thanks Lavinia for the being more porous info … that answers a question I've had for quite some time

Maria Duran

I had heard before (Pete´s course, I believe) that the white line might show up more protuded in humid conditions and I had seen that but it had nothing to do with this case, it was shocking (for me at least) to see all that distorted material.

Bobbie Day

Where do I find the sub group and pictures that have been posted here?
I would love to see the photos 😊

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Bobbi,

You are on the Hoof sub-group. Pictures for this group are in the Photos section here, if they have been submitted for uploading. Here is the link to the album for these photos:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/Hoof/album?id=246228