Would Thicker Pads Further Improve Boot Fit?

Lynn

Relevante wears Cavallo Trek boots on all four feet for riding. Cavallo worked really hard with us to get the optimum fit because the shape of his overall foot (they have experienced this with certain breeds) has been a bit problematic (i.e. a boot that fit his sole would not close properly over the rest of the foot). We finally ended up with slim 2s on the front and 1 regulars on the back. I've been using Cavallo support pads in all four and pastern wraps on the fronts. But i would like to get away from the pastern wraps and tweek the fit of all four a bit better. So i bought a yoga mat from Wal-Mart. I was thinking about cutting my own pads from the mat with the idea that a "deeper" "cushior" pad might make the boots fit even better on the actual hoof while still allowing the boots to close properly. Does that logic hold water or am I all wet?
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

Edited

The pastern wraps are helping to keep the boots from twisting so may be protecting him from possible rubs as well as filling some space in the boots themselves. Substituting a bit thicker pad may or may not work. Only way to find out if the change does what you are wanting is to give it a try.

Lynn

That makes sense Lavinia...I was thinking about the pastern wraps in terms of rubbing but not in terms of preventing twisting...I'll do as you suggest and try it with wraps and the thicker pad and without and see what happens. Thanks!
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio