X-ray question

J Amick

My farrier has requested for me to have digital  xrays done shortly.    He wants me to "load"  the hoof
when these are done.    Load means for me to pick up the other foot and place the weight  on to the xrayed foot.     My horse has had tons of xrays done and I was there to hold his head in doing this.
NEVER  have I seen this "loading"  done.

Has anyone else done this?    If so,  would this be a good idea since the comparison xrays weren't  done like this?  How could you get a good assessment?
Thanks,
Judy-PA

Abby Nemec

---- J Amick <happyday23@...> wrote:
My farrier has requested for me to have digital xrays done shortly.
He wants me to "load" the hoof
when these are done. Load means for me to pick up the other foot and
place the weight on to the xrayed foot.
I prefer to have xrays done where both feet are on blocks, so that equal weight is borne on both. Without that, you can't get an accurate assessment of the bony column alignment for trimming. In addition, the dorsal wall and tip of frog should be marked. Without those, you really don't have good reference points.

---------------------

bsteadman1950 <bsteadman1950@...>

--- In ECHoof@..., J Amick <happyday23@...> wrote:

My farrier has requested for me to have digital xrays done
shortly.
He wants me to "load" the hoof
when these are done.
my trimmer asked the same thing of me but the vet did the blocks as
Abby said. I just made sure she was not "resting" the leg getting
xray'd

Barbara
CT