Femoral muscles Dr. Kellon please ☺️ #photo-notice / anyone have thoughts on possible muscle wasting??? #photo-notice

Bobbie Day

I’ve been doing a lot of reading and the possibilities of pssm in quarter horses (or more likely) she is quarter horse and gets 1200IU of vitamin e daily, her diet is balanced.
im desperate for ideas, I’m thinking we need to get a biopsy? Anyone have any suggestions?
Please ???
--
Bobbie and Desi
Utah

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I couldn't find your photo. Is this the area? https://www.atlantaequine.com/pages/client_lib_fibmyopathy.html
--
Dr. K

Bobbie Day

Yes, sorry I forgot to add my link. I’ll get that done

--
Bobbie and Desi
Utah

Bobbie Day

Dr. Kellon I have added our link. the pictures are added to our album, hopefully you can see it.

Thanks for the article, I don't think my vet could do this procedure, if it is this what else do you recommend I could do for her? It says its not usually painful but I think she is hurting, I actually noticed this sometime ago but my husband thought I was seeing things, the farrier was out yesterday and he actually noticed it and said another horse he just trimmed had the same thing so he is anxious to know what it could be as well. I'm assuming it wouldn't be advisable to ride her that way? I will of course do more reading on the subject thank you so much.

--

Bobbie and Desi
NRC Plus March 2020

There is a great group on FaceBook about PSSM. Lots of information and help. Info on diet, etc. from people that are going thru the process.
--
Sondra Edwards
Maryland 9/2015

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

This isn't PSSM.
--
Dr. K

Sara Gooch

I too had suspicions my QH-looking mare had PSSM and  had her tested via hair sample through UC Davis, and my suspicions were confirmed.
My understanding is that in quarter horses or horses with quarter horse breeding, PSSM is identified as PSSM1.   UC Davis Genetics Lab does a genetic test for it using mane or tail hair samples. It's quick and easy and accurate (same test the AQHA uses) less than $100 for a complete 6-panel genetic test that identifies PSSM1 and other QH genetic conditions, or you can just have the hair sample tested for PSSM1 for less. There's information about the various tests online. You can get the admission forms and instructions you need online and get it sent and results sent to you, without involving a veterinarian in the testing part of it.  The UC Davis test would confirm PSSM1 or eliminate it as a possibility.

Good luck--
Sara, Northeast California
2011

Bobbie Day

Thank you, after seeing the picture that Dr. Kellon posted I'm pretty sure that's the issue. Her bum looks just like the picture. I don't know how she could have hurt herself but she is a horse after all. I haven't ever seen any signs of a struggle etc. And she is just ridden on local trails, they're hilly but she isn't over exerted. Who knows, I'll have our vet take a look tomorrow but I would be really surprised if she has ever even seen this.
--

Bobbie and Desi
NRC Plus March 2020

Daisy Shepherd

where do i find this photo? thanks, daisy and tiko

Bobbie Day

Daisy it’s in Desi’s photo album. First two pictures 😊
You may need to look at my other reply I don’t think the link is on this one.
Here you go

--

Bobbie and Desi
NRC Plus March 2020