Equine Cushing's and Insulin Resistance main@ECIR.groups.io
IF YOU ARE IN AN EMERGENCY: SCROLL DOWN TO THE JOIN THIS GROUP BUTTON. YOU WILL BE EMAILED INSTRUCTIONS UPON JOINING. Please check you SPAM box.
Started in 1999, the ECIR Group is the largest field-trial database for PPID and EMS in the world and provides the latest research, diagnosis and treatment information, and dietary recommendations for horses with these conditions. Even universities do not and cannot compile and follow long term as many in-depth case histories of PPID/EMS horses as the ECIR Group.
ECIR HISTORY. Founding member Robin initiated ECIR for her little mare "Night Flight" (Tina). Diagnosed with Cushing’s in 1994, Tina passed at age 31 from unrelated causes. In 2013 the Equine Cushing's and Insulin Resistance Group Inc., an Arizona nonprofit corporation, was approved as a 501(c)3 public charity. Tax deductible contributions and grants support ongoing research, education, and awareness of Equine Cushing's Disease/PPID and Insulin Resistance.
THE MISSION of the ECIR Group Inc. is to improve the welfare of equines with metabolic disorders via a unique interface between basic research and real-life clinical experience. Prevention of laminitis is the ultimate goal. The ECIR Group serves the scientific community, practicing clinicians and owners by focusing on investigations most likely to quickly, immediately and significantly benefit the welfare of the horse.
ECIR PHILOSOPHY. A fundamental strength of the ECIR discussion group is the ability to discuss individual cases, background, science and evidence in depth. Often cutting edge in treating these conditions, everything recommended has a sound scientific and medical basis backed by years of success with many cases. We may discuss treatment options that have been found to work in other species, including humans, but that have not yet been studied in horses.
THE ECIR GROUP DOES NOT SELL ANYTHING. Members and volunteers work to be clear as to solid scientific or medical evidence versus personal theory, observation, or experience in case-by-case support. This allows the ECIR Group to stand far ahead of other groups.
ONCE YOU ARE A MEMBER OF ECIR take a few minutes to read the START HERE files and the Wiki to get more quickly up to speed.
IF YOU ARE IN CRISIS. We know you may be in a difficult situation, so please post directly to the group as a NEW MEMBER and you will be guided from there. In order for your first post to be approved, please make sure you sign with Name, general location and year of joining the forum.
For the welfare of all member horses, we ask members to keep all discussions publicly on ECIR Groups.io as a condition of membership. Solicitation is against group policy. To keep the spam down, all new ECIR Group members are on moderated status until their first message is posted. We ask all members to please sign their name and location and also to add the date they joined the group.
WELCOME! We’re sorry you have to be here but please know you are in the right place.
- All subscribers can post to the group.
- Posts to this group do not require approval from the moderators.
- Posts from new users require approval from the moderators.
- Messages are set to reply to group.
- Subscriptions to this group do not require approval from the moderators.
- Archives are visible to anyone.
- Wiki is visible to subscribers only.
- Only moderators can create hashtags.
- Members can set their subscriptions to no email.
Top Hashtags [See All]
- #cal-notice Groups the Monthly Reminders 391 threads
- #FACTS Groups the Facebook Integrations 329 threads
- #Wiki Indicates post has to do with Wiki contents 8 threads
- #legalityofpergolide 6 threads
- #pergolidestrength How much pergolide mesylate to get 1 mg of pergolide 6 threads
- #understandingtrim 4 threads
- #NEW Indicates something new is added to the files or wiki. 3 threads
- #poll 3 threads
- #nirwetchem How NIR and wet cheimstry hay tests are different. ECIR recommends Wet Chemistry. 2 threads
- #cal-invite 1 threads