From: Abby Bloxsom <dearab@...>
To: EquineCushings@...
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2007 9:29:12 AM
Subject: Re: [EquineCushings] when to euthanize

kapleacres wrote:

Please be kind on my decision not to medicate, and I know I could
shut him in a stall and let him live longer. but let me know if there
is someone else that has been in my shoes. thanks
Hi there, and welcome, though I'm so sorry that you have to be here.
You will find that in the huge membership of this list, there are many,
many who have been where you are. Each of us has our own story, some
have chosen to euthanize and some have chosen to treat either with diet
or medication, or both. The choice is as individual and valid for each
of us.

If you're looking for words to tell you when, I can only say "he will
tell you". It sounds really trite for me to say that, but it is
absolutely true. Of course there are times when we as human caregivers
must know that the time is at hand even if the animal is happy and
comfortable as is - those are hardest.

If you're looking for words of hope, support, encouragement to pursue
making life easier and more comfortable for your old fellow, you will
find more than you could possible ever need here. There is always hope
for those who want things to be better. You have options with diet,
management, and medication for even the most devastating effects of
Cushing's, most of which are truly uncomplicated and affordable. The
medication that you're holding off on (pergolide) is VERY effective when
used in a complete treatment plan, and also now REALLY inexpensive.
Starting dose for most horses is well under $30 a month. It used to be
that treating Cushing's was a hit-or-miss proposition, but with current
diet & management techniques list members have brought the success rate
up to a surprisingly high level. Don't want to throw out numbers for
something like this because we really don't have "success" statistics,
but the volume of mail on the list speaks for itself, and it's
overwhelmingly positive.

I myself have a pony that I knew had Cushing's for 4 years before I was
sort of dragged into treating him. He was at death's door in the
deepest of winter, and I needed "to keep him alive til the ground
thawed". I began with the most meager efforts recommended by this list
at the time - truly "to keep him alive" - and he bounced back to the
point that he is still an absolute character in our barn and greets us
every day with a very cute chipper face, now 4 years after I joined this
list. Every time I have questioned whether he had reached his end, I
have pulled yet another trick out of the EC List bag, and brought him
right around again.

In any case, the decision to medicate or not is yours and yours alone.
None of us will judge or criticize you for your choice, but I wanted to
be sure that you received a positive view to counter your vet's concerns
about cost and prognosis. When you post again, could I ask you to sign
your post, and give your horse's name? We're a pretty friendly group,
and like to "know" each other by name.

Again, thanks for stopping in. I hope we can be of help to you on your
journey, wherever it takes you.

-Abby B
list "hoof guru" and
Mom to Tony the Pony (EC) and Elba (IR) and friends

--
Abby Bloxsom

Be a better friend, newshound, and