Re: Newly diagnosed

jarrahbrearebreazebridie

--- In EquineCushings@..., "lloydequestrian"
<lloydequestrian@...> wrote:

My 4 year old Morgan gelding was diganosed this morning as insulin
resistant. The last 6 months his daily diet has been grass/alfalfa
hay (soaked) and a mash of beet pulp, senior feed, whole oats, rice
bran, clovite and a weight builder. Any suggestions on a new diet??
Any help

Hi Jamie
Welcome to the group! Our files are packed with new information that
you can read and learn lots concerning I.R. The list philosophy is
DDT/E. Diagnosis by bloodwork, Diet being low carbohyrdate/fat and
Trim a balanced foot, and exercise when horse is able.
Have you had bloodwork done on your Morgan insulin,glucose tests or
was the diagnosis by clinical observation. If blood work post untits
and reference values and if clinical can you give us some information
on how the this came about and what are your concerns?
For now I would follow the emergancy diet and cut out the grass,
senior feed, whole oats and rice bran. We recommend flax instead of
the rice bran as the fat content is very high for I.R equines same
with the other feeds. Some horse who are I.R can tolerate some
Alfalfa others can not. In the files are some low s/s feeds and hay
cubes for suggestions. The beet pupl is excellent provided the
molasses is r/s/r/ rinsed, soaked, rinced until the water runs clean
or purchased non-molassed beet pulp. We treat per diagnosis.
Medication for Cushings gold standard is Pergolide and Diet for IR.
It is not to hard once you get the hang of it. When you joined you
would of recieved temporary emergency diet and it works because it is
VERY LOW sugar/starch. No grass until you know what the tolerance
level is for your gelding. Some I.R equines can never eat grass or
Alfalfa again. Have a read at www.safergrass.org to see how dangerous
grass is this time of year. When the case histories are back up and
running fill one in for us all, this enables us to efficiently help
you located at
http://www.sportshorses.com/caseform.htm
Diagnosis: We deal with primarily two different metabolic disorders
on this list. The first is Cushings disease, which is a pituitary
adenoma. This is treated with drugs, the norm is Pergolide
The second disorder is insulin resistance or I.R. This is
treated with diet LOW S/S/ and exercise if and when your horse is
able.

Diet: We recommend a low sugar/starch diet. This means no cookies,
no carrots, no treats or grrains or senior feed. These are all high
s/s/ and often molasses and usually iron. If you don't
know the sugar and starch content, we recommend soaking your hay to
reduce the sugars. One hour cold water and thirty minutes hot water
to leach out as much s/s/ starch as possible. Try the temp emergency
diet until you can have your hay tested and can organize the correct
minerals to balance diet and know s/s in the hay.

We recommend that you weigh her hay. It's important that you do not
try to starve your horse to lose weight as it is counter productive
to I.R. Feed at 1.5% to 2% of ideal body weight.
Walmart sells fish scales that you can easily weigh your hay with.
They also carry the Vitamin E Human gelcaps and you need some flax
and salt. Table salt is fine. Trim: It's important to have a good
trim - heels down, toes back.The hoof gurus can jump in for more
information if you post picts for advice.

The care and prognosis for horses that are cushings and/or insulin
resistant is a lot different from years ago. We've come a long way
in our understanding on how to care for and treat our horses.
Help yourself to the files read lots learn lots and fire away with
questions.
Angela
jarrahbrearebreazebridie