Re: Sleep deprivation, Was: Other matters

Lynn Williams <lynjwilliams@...>

Thanks for responding Eleanor and Sandy.

To answer your question Sandy about sleep deprivation - I am working
on something to do with crestiness in horses and, as questions pop
into my mind, who better to answer them than people on this site?

I will get back to the list when I have marshalled my thoughts into a
coherent form. This may take some time as I am a highly creative
thinker - in other words - I'm disorganised and easily distracted :)

I hope people will bear with me as I have posted another question to
do with feet which may also seem a bit off topic.

Cheers
Lynn

--- In EquineCushings@..., Sandra Su <ssu@...> wrote:

At 1:38 PM +0000 1/11/08, Lynn wrote:
Do horses suffer ill-effects from sleep deprivation - in upright
sleep and flat out sleep?
I recently read an article on this in a horse magazine -- Equus, I
think. Horses were falling asleep on their feet, and owners were
thinking it was some sort of neurological problem when a horse would
suddenly stumble and fall. Actually, they found many of these horses
weren't lying down and getting the deep, restful sleep they needed.
This is often caused by a horse having arthritis and being so
stiff in the joints it's afraid to lie down. It can also be caused if
a horse is nervous and insecure and feels that lying down makes it
too vulnerable.
The article said once these horses were enabled to lie down
and sleep, they recovered very quickly. Horses can sleep standing up,
but they don't sleep as deeply and restfully as when they lie down,
and if they don't get that deeper, restful sleep, they start
collapsing -- falling asleep on their feet.
What does this have to do with Cushing's and IR?
--

Sandy Su
ssu@...