Re: Sleep deprivation, Was: Other matters

Ute <ute@...>

This may be mostly due to a body's stress response. Constant stress
can cause chronically elevated glucose levels in the blood to support
a perceived fight or flight response that in our modern lives often
never comes. If it did, it would burn off the excess sugar there to
be utilized for energy. So the sugar excess remains and needs to be
dealt with by the body with the help of insulin. This may also be a
contributing factor of IR, along with a diet that is too high in
NSCs.

Sleep deprivation certainly increases stress levels in individuals
who will try to function as normally as possible during the day.

DR Thomas has written some very interesting articels on this subject
that were published in the Natural Horse and are available to read on
his website: http://www.forloveofthehorse.com/misslink.php

Ute

--- In EquineCushings@..., J Amick <happyday23@...> wrote:

Just recently I read an article about the outbreak of type 2
diabetes
in humans being in
astronomical numbers and this was brought on by sleep
deprivation.
Well guess what?
Your reading a post from one! All along I've encouraged that
the
lyme disease
was creating many other problems like the IR in our horses.
Till the
day I die I will
say this, as I saw first hand what the lyme can do to push horses
into
Cushings, IR and
iron overload, and most of these created laminitis.
I use sawdust and pine shavings in my stalls and I noted years
ago of
who laid down flat out to get restful sleep, and who just stood
up to
"sleep". The
shavings told the story.
Judy-Pa

jtb14789 wrote:

My Cushings/IR horse developed this sleep deprivation problem
when he
contracted Lyme. The vet had no clue what was wrong with him. I
came
across the Equus article & it answered a lot of questions I had.

Maybe not directly related to Cushings/IR, but we do seem to have
significant number of members on the board who's horses
subsequently
develop Lyme.

-----