Re: Complicated Founder Trim, Photos of Mel

John Stewart

Hello Eva again,

Concerns about methods of new farrier:

I don't think that cutting a notch between the heel and frog can do anything. I have heard that some people will "open" the heel, which

involves cutting away the horn right at the heels. The effect of this is to remove the direct connection between the hoof wall at the heel and the bar.

The intention is that the wall, not restricted by its connection to the bar, will be able to expand outwards.

The faint vertical lines of blood in the white line at the toe are most likely to have followed a laminitis episode, but this would usually not be

evident for 4 - 6weeks after. This would coincide with the change in angle seen near the top of the hoof wall, although this does not seem to fit into

the timescale of her lameness.

Scooping the sole is usually not a good idea because, in a chronic laminitic, the tip of the pedal bone will often be resting on the sole and

the sole will often be thinner than it should be. If there is sufficient sole then it can be thinned. The farrier would have to judge this by

palpation (or x rays).

Cutting a groove in the hoof wall.

The extreme of this is a hoof wall resection, removing the dorsal hoof wall, exposing the separated laminae and taking pressure off the new growth. This

has gone out of fashion.

Chris Pollitt at the last Laminitis Conference in Florida recently, proposed that the horn growth from distorted coronary papillae, because it could not

grow down as it should, actually pushed the pedal bone away from the hoof wall. some people are now removing a section of the separated wall near the

top of the front wall. It sounds as though your farrier's grooving is trying to do this in a similar, but less dramatic, way.

I wouldn't personally suggest doing this, but I do not think that it would do any harm. I don't happen to agree with this Dr Pollitt idea.

I will have a go at the TRIM Questions tomorrow.

John