Re: HELP Dr.K, Amberlee, Harrys x-rays

Abby Nemec

jarrahbrearebreazebridie wrote:
Dr. K, Amberlee,Hoof gurus.
Would you please take a look at Harrys x-rays for Linda.
Harry's xrays are not too bad but his soles are pretty thin & lowering his heels - while necessary - might make him tender.

I would like to see photos of Harry's feet if possible before I comment too much more - the outside of the foot has a lot to say about what to expect when he's trimmed.

The important thing I think really has to be getting his toes back. The toes of his hooves extends way out beyond the tip of his coffin bone, so it will probably make him a lot more comfortable if his breakover is brought back quite a ways at the toe.

With short feet like this you might find it helpful to try using hoof casts (I've been on a bit of a roll with these lately!) to get some sole relief. The casts support the outside of the foot pretty well so you can put the foot on a shoe with the cast over it and get protection/support WITH sole relief - a good deal! Equicast is available from

Warwick Bloomfield of Bracknell
http://www.bfsequine.com/bfsequine/ContactUs.htm

Mike Taylor of Romford, Essex
mike@...

Feet like Harry's have been rehabilitated successfully with bare feet, boots, pea gravel, etc. as well.

When you have a chance to get some hoof photos up let us know & we can take a look & see what else we might be able to tell from there.

-Abby

--
Abby Bloxsom