donkey

meganrust172 <whodunit@...>

I have a jenny donkey which is showing signs of IR. I plan to feed her as though as she IS IR,
by tracking down some local hay that is low in NSC. She has history of laminitis--actually IS
mildly laminitic right now--and has fat pads on her crest, sides, and around her tail base.
She was overfed in the past. I feed my herd of horses and donkeys high-quality orchard
grass hay, and can see that it is too rich for her. Her recent flare-up of laminitis is likely due
to an increase in the amount of hay she got. That increase has been stopped now.

Will feeding a hay low in NSCs, at the amount of 1.3% to 1.8% of her body weight, be
sufficient to prevent any further flare-ups of her laminitis? She shares a large treed field--
with no grass in it--with 2 other donkeys and 3 horses. She also gets a daily de-wormer,
Continuex.

She is on Banamine to help with the laminitis, and I'll be weaning her off it soon, to see if the
laminitis has lessened to a level she can handle. She also has significantly high levels of liver
enzymes, though that appears just to be her genetic make-up, and is not a problem for her.
But, does that high liver enzyme level change the way I handle her IR?

Thanks for any input on this subject.