ACTH results -horse now diagnosed with Cushings

Stacy

Well, we tested my 11 year old Arabian gelding yesterday, and his
bloodowrk came back at 65 pg/ml with 9-35 the normal range. So he is
very high :-( He is so young, and the 'symptoms' have been the
weight gain, and a bout with laminitis - leading to diagnosis of IR.
The symptoms are under control with the tightly controlled diet, Thyro-
L and J-herb. He has not been lethargic, has no muscle wasting at
all, never had a long coat or excessive abscesses/infectoin. The
laminitis in November was triggered by overeating acorns. He seems so
young to be diagnosed with Cushings, I thought for sure he was only
IR. I guess Dandy was diagnosed early in the game...and maybe many
other horses have Cushings at this age, but don't get diagnosed until
the symptoms worsen. (??) I have the Pergolide on order...

Stacy