Re: A Word from my equine dentist

Cindy McGinley

"J Amick" <happyday23@...> wrote:

Most vet hospitals will not extract a tooth in the upper set of teeth.

Hi Judy,

That's why I said to *ask* about it. :-)

Sorry about your experience. Thanks for the information!

I suppose the safer and cheaper alternative is to have the dentist out regularly to simply keep filing down the tooth that will continue to grow. And that falls under routine dental maintenance in my world.

Anyway, the point of my post was really that old horses with no teeth or teeth worn below the gumline can certainly thrive without hay if you find them a suitable alternative feed.

- Cindy and Alf (and entourage) in NY