Re: A Word from my equine dentist

Jeanie

Kristen, this may be OT but when you said (I wouldnt pull both teeth as the
bottom tooth might still be of some use to the horse!), I believe you missed
the point. The point is that teeth must be working against other opposing
teeth, upper and lower arcade working together, in order to grind feed. Thus,
if you no longer have an occlusion, (occlusion referring to the teeth working
together, meeting), and it was stated that there would then be an unopposed
tooth of a pair, the point of pulling the lower one also is so that the lower
tooth is not continually irritating the gum above in the upper arcade. That
would put a horse off of feed completely due to pain, which is a greater
danger than having a missing upper/lower pair of teeth!
Jeanie

deal here.