Re: Wild oats in hay

Louise

Hi Susan,
Thanks for your response. I intended to have it tested but I did some more research today and found the below informantion. This was about issues in hay in California and I am in Maryland. Don't know if it would be the same here but it sure makes me worry enough to think maybe I should just pass on it now. I hate having to find a new source though when his hay has always been so good.

Plants that Cause Mechanical Injury

Numerous species of grasses produce barbed seed heads (commonly call foxtails) that penetrate and can become imbedded in skin and mucus membranes. Ulceration and infection, and abscess can result. Ulcerations in the oral cavity may cause pain with eating and weight loss. Wild barley, wild oats, and yellow bristle grass are examples of barbed grasses that may be found in pasture or first cutting hay

Louise in MD
Jan 2007

--- In EquineCushings@..., "palomino.1982" <sbaumgardner@...> wrote:

Hi Louise,

Unfortunately you won't know for sure unless it is tested. You can send a sample to Equi-Analytical ( Dairy One ) and test for ESC/Starch and if it comes in at 10% or lower- you are good to run the the full analysis.
Susan
EC Support/Primary Response
San Diego 1.07
I have purchased my timothy hay from the same farmer every year. I have had it tested every year and it always comes in at under 10% so it's great for my IR horse. This year he tells me that some wild oats got mixed in with