Re: Chaste Tree Berry

muff747

I tried for nearly one year to get my gelding's ACTH within normal levels after it was high at each re-test, despite increasing the Pergolide dose each time. So I decided to try CTB alongside Pergolide and re-tested after feeding it for a month - and the levels were within normal range for the first time. Was it the CTB that made the difference? I will re-test again in October whilst still feeding CTB and if ACTH is still within normal, I'd like to think it was.
I have to be careful not to feed more than a tablespoon/day as someone reported their gelding becoming "studdy" when they fed it, and my gelding is studdy enough already!
I get mine already in powder form from a UK supplier.
Chris/Matty UK 07/09

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Gary & Kathy" <gksaucier@...> wrote:

Mary,
When we first got our diagnosis for EC, I tried the Chasteberry powder.
One source said 2 tsps/day & another source said it needed to be 2 ounces/day to be effective. That was 5 years ago so I can't remember details but seems like that was 1/2 a cup a day. A lot. We split it across the 2 meals and still couldn't get him to eat it. Very bitter. I tried various things to mask it and we had gotten up to a whole box of sugar free Jello each meal to mask it enough for him to eat. A sprinkling did nothing. At that price, it was cheaper to go with Pergolide, especially after I found the good sources recommended on this group (Thriving Pets & another pharmacy). I made that switch, he responded better, ate it without a problem, etc. No battles with the capsules of Pergolide.
Kathy S.
Texas
Jan 2005

Chaste Tree Berry
Posted by: "dogs2cats1horse" dogs2cats1horse@...
HI........... I've been reading about chaste tree berry for cushing horses. Tried it but he won't eat it( and this horse eats anything). I read that the chaste tree berry can be helpful...who has tried it and how did you feed it?
Thanks, Mary