Ferrous sulfate in a low carb complete feed

Betsy Cambareri <betsycam@...>

Today I discovered a complete feed that I want to investigate
further. My friend's horse is exhibiting carb-overload symptoms,
tender-footedness and redness in the walls. My friend was using
forage pellets as a carrier for her supplements. Her vet won't let
her use shredded beet pulp because the horse had many gas collics
preceding a gastric torsion last December which she had surgery to
correct. Since the horse happened to be on beet pulp during the gas
collics, the vet felt it was part of the problem. Anyone heard of
such a thing?!

Anyway, we were at a feed store that didn't have more of the pellets
she had run out of, but it does carry a complete feed called
CarboRaider Complete: Equine Low Carb Mix with Roughage, King
Brand. Unfortunately, it does have ferrous sulfate added, but it is
close to the end of the list. I know a lot of people are against
using soy products due to GM soy likely being used, but if a small
amount of this feed were used to deliver supplements, does anyone see
a huge problem with the feed? The ingredients and provided analysis
are below. Zinc is 100 ppm and copper is 30 ppm, and the ferrous
sulfate is listed between the zinc oxide and the tribasic copper
chloride near the end of the list; can I therefore assume that the
amount of iron is between 30 and 100 ppm?

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein, not less than 14.0%
Crude Fat, not less than 8.0%
Crude Fiber, not more than 24.0%
Calcium, not less than 0.4%
Calcium, not more than 0.8%
Phosphorus, not less than 0.3%
Sodium, not more than 0.6%
Lysine, not less than 0.55%
Methionine & Cystine, NLT 0.25%
Copper, NLT 30 PPM
Zinc, NLT 100 PPM
Added Chromium, NLT 0.10 PPM
Added Selenium, NLT 0.30 PPM
Vitamin A, NLT 2200 IU/LB
Vitamin D, NLT 440 IU/LB
Vitamin E, NLT 80 IU/LB
Digestible Energy, NLT 1060 KCAL/LB
STARCH, NOT MORE THAN 3%
Sugars, NOT MORE THAN 10%
_________________________________
INGREDIENTS
Soybean Hulls, Dried Beet Pulp, Distillers Dried Grains with
Solubles, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Vegetable Oil, Calcium Carbonate,
Condensed Lignin Sulfonate (pellet binder), Monocalcium & Dicalcium
Phosphate, Salt, Refined Soy Lecithin, Yeast Culture, L-Lysine
Hydrochloride, Direct Fed Microbials (Heat Stable cultures of
Lactobacillus acidophilus, L. casei, Bifidobacterium bifidium,
Enterococcus faecium and Aspergillus oryzae), Zinc-Methionine
Complex, Manganese-Methionine Complex, Copper-Lysine Complex, Cobalt
Glucoheptonate, Hydrated Calcium-Sodium Aluminosilicate, Dried Yeast,
Dried Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles, Selenium Yeast,
Vitamin E Supplement, Chromium Tripicolinate, Magnesium Oxide,
Naturally Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract,
Ascorbic Acid & Citric Acid, Natural & Artificial Flavoring, Calcium
carbonate, Rice Hulls (as a vitamin carrier), Vitamin A Supplement,
Vitamin D3 Supplement, Choline Chloride, Niacin Supplement, Calcium
Pantothenate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite (source of Vitamin K
activity), Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine
Hydrochloride, D-Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Sodium
Selenite, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Tribasic
Copper Chloride, Ethylene Diamine Dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate.

TIA,
Betsy Cambareri