Re: Tribute Essential K

Kathy Brinkerhoff

Hi Erica,

How much of Tribute Essential K is your horse being fed?

I believe that the NSC is 14% after reading the article on Metabolic Syndrome and Insulin Resistance on the site. I left a message with Klambach Feeds to confirm this. I doubt if they will tell me what that individual sugar and starch numbers are for this product. The *theory* behind feeding this product is to feed hay with a low sugar/starch hay and to not feed much of the Tribute Essential K.

The recommendations for a 1100# horse mature who is Idle is 1.0 to 2.0 pounds...Light work...2.0-3.0 pounds and so on to Very Heavy work load which is 3.5-4.5 pounds per day. Here is a quote from the product reference sheet: "the low sugar and starch level combined with low feeding rate reduces the negative effects on horses that are hyper active or have metabolic conditions such as insulin resistance, laminitis, ulcers, obesity or tying up issues." This claim is a keeper for my *magic bullet* file. :-)

The crude fat (max) is 6% which is pretty comparable to a lot of commercial feeds.

Like most commercial feeds the copper, zinc, etc are minimal at the lower feeding recommendations. It does have a whopping Iron contribution (900 ppm per pound) and the Omega 6 (3.0%): Omega 3 (0.4%) ratio is heavier in Omega 6's

Kathy Brinkerhoff

SE/WI 2007

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Erica" <eureggie2@...> wrote:

Does anyone have any knowlege of or experience with Tribute Essential K pelleted feed?