Re: Haylage

I asked Sarah privately and she responded - "By 'too much' I mean some horses become footy and also with loose manure."

Barb in western CO
The quality and nutrient levels in haylage are going to depend on the hay it was made from. In general, the process of fermenting the haylage should reduce sugar/starch but if the hay was pretty high to begin with, the resulting haylage may still be too high in sugar and starch for some horses - while haylage from another source might be fine.

Haylage is more compact and digestible than cured hay - so when introducing it may be easy to overfeed. It can also spoil easily if the bags are torn or punctured or not used up quickly enough.

Haylage is still rare in the US but seems to be more common in the UK, especially in yards where storage is tight. Properly fermented and stored, it can be an excellent forage source but, like any hay product, needs to be analyzed to determine if it's a good choice for an IR or laminitic horse.

Patti K
EC Support Team
Vail AZ 2001