Re: What to do for Laminitis?

skyappy95

Hi Jaini,
Are you one of the Moderators?

You can call me sky, that is fine.

The vet, Dan Cochran does not come out to my area.
So, I called my regular vet who is on the cusp of retiring & I really
tho't he would not be open to all of this but he is willing & will
do the testing for me. I just have to send him all the info which I
printed out from the ecir site. So, that is in the works.

Why do you want pics of her hooves? They are in casts right now & Pete Ramey has been helping me along with someone he recommmended & also now Equicast is helping me. So we are really doing all we can
for her hooves to hold them together & get her as comfortable as
possible with a good breakover.

She has pathological feet from many years of wrong everything so it's only the last 2 yrs that I took over & started learning about this
& she was growing out new hoof capsules & then this Laminitis thing started happening which, thank goodness, has been mild. She is able to walk & no strange stances,but it is not doing her feet any good.

I was wondering about feeding before the testing. Does she need to have, like a full meal before the blood draw? & does the blood draw need to be during a certain time of day or anything? I know it should not be fasting. So, can I just feed her when I know the vet is coming?

Thank you,
sky

--- In EquineCushings@..., "merlin5clougher" <janieclougher@...> wrote:

Hi, Sky - or do you prefer to be called Catherine?

Here is what you must do next:

Continue feeding the diet she is currently on. The 8% ESC+starch grass hay should be fine without soaking. Cut out all treats of carrots and turnips and other treats.

Get a vet out to test ACTH, insulin and glucose. In message 162541, Susan posted about a vet near you:

******"I answered her privately but thought I would also email the list in case there is anyone else in this area that would like to know. I live near Gold Hill and use Dr. Dan Cochran. His number is 541-826-6752. My Arab gelding has mild cushings and Dr. Dan is so great with explaining things to me. Andy is 28 and I have had him since he was born.
Susan
Sam's Valley, OR
May 2010"*******

Take pictures of Copper's feet, so we can see what is happening with them, and the post a message with the link once those pictures are uploaded. Here is info on how to take good hoof pictures:

Those are your three missions: no treats; get vet; take hoof pics.

Hope that helps!

Copper's case history:

Jaini,Merlin,Maggie,Gypsy
BC09
EC Support

What should I do next???? How do I get the Laminitis under control?

sky
Grants Pass, OR