Re: ACTH?

skyappy95

Can you tell me how to put that link into email...not sure what you mean or how todo that.
sky

--- In EquineCushings@..., "merlin5clougher" <janieclougher@...> wrote:

Hi, Sky -

Okay, excellent work on doing a case history.

Here is the link to it:

Any time you post, could you please include that link? I have mine copied into my email, so I can copy and paste it into my posts when necessary.

Hmmm... now that I think of it, I have been very remiss about my own link!

Got my thinking cap on for Copper. I do think you need to test ACTH, insulin and glucose. Let us know if you need any help with blood handling info for your vet.

Jaini,Merlin,Maggie,Gypsy
BC09
EC Support

--- In EquineCushings@..., "skyappy95" <skydove103@> wrote:

yes, there is a file history on her Coppertop

--- In EquineCushings@..., "merlin5clougher" <janieclougher@> wrote:

Hi, Sky -

Here is a link to a study from Liphook lab in the UK, comparing ACTH levels (which is one of the things to drive cortisol levels) in normal and PPID (Cushings) horses.

In normal horses, the ACTH starts to rise in late summer, early autumn, and is well on the downswing by the end of November.

In PPID horses, the lowest levels are April and May, but they start to rise again in June; highest levels September, October, November; starting to drop off in December.

BUT (and this is a big but) some PPID horses maintain those high levels even longer, so one cannot assume that ACTH will start dropping in December - testing is the only way to know for sure.

Do we have a case history for your mare? I can't remember. If not, then you can go to EC History 5:

You have to join, but that is quick. Download the case history template, fill it out on the computer, then upload it into your own folder in the files. The instructions are on the site also.

Good luck!

Jaini,Merlin,Maggie,Gypsy
BC09
EC Support

Hi,
I'm wondering if my horse is showing signs of elevated cortisol or pre-Cushings. She has been having Laminitic Episodes this month. We have been having alot of frozen ground this year [unusual] but her diet is pretty tight so am looking for other possibities.

So, if it IS cortisol then at what time of year does it start to go
down again? & up again?
Thankyou!
sky
oregon 2009