Re: new blood work

merlin5clougher <janieclougher@...>

Hi, Jennifer -

Well, the ACTH is looking good! It is a little disappointing about the IR status, though - still, better to be forewarned.

Looks like you are going to have to soak your hay for now, until you can get tested low sugar/low starch hay. Dang. Soak 1 hour in cold water, or 30 minutes in hot, and drain where the horses can't get at it. When I soak, I drain the water into my gardens, and the plants don't seem to mind.

The Purina WellSolve has less than 11% ESC+starch, but the starch can be as high as 5 or 6%; similarly, the TC Lite has about 5% sugar and 4.5% starch. If it were me, I would be tempted to reduce those two feeds to less than 1/2 pound each, just to tempt her to eat her supps. Does she like her rinsed/soaked/rinsed beet pulp? That is always a safe carrier for minerals. The TC Safe Starch Forage is just fine, at 4.3% sugar and 1.8% starch.

Thanks for the link to your case history - makes life much easier!

Hugs to Mill.

Jaini,Merlin,Maggie,Gypsy
BC09
EC Support

--- In EquineCushings@..., "millionairess1989" <millionairess1989@...> wrote:

Hi,
This is Mill's latest blood work from Cornell which now puts her as IR.

ACTH 22.4 pg/ml (9-35) previously on 7-9-11 40.3
Insulin 20 uIU/ml (10-40) 12.58
Glucose 83 mg/dl (71-113) 88
Free T4 1.49 ng/dl (1.2-1.8) 1.35

She has been on 1.5 mg Pergolide since the end of Dec. and gets approx. 16 pounds of an orchard/bermuda grass mix. The hay is almost gone and I do not have a lab report on it. I am still working on finding new hay. Mill gets 1 1/2 pounds of Wellsolve LS, 2 cups of beet pulp r/s/r plus salt and supplements. When stabled due to weather she also gets 2-3 pounds of TC Safe Starch forage and 1 1/2 pounds of TC Lite pellets.

Any suggestions on where we go from here?

Jennifer & Mill
Jan 2010
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory3/files/Millionairess