Re: Advice Sought for Introducing the Emergency Diet and Adding Supplements

Mandy Woods

Hi Belinda,
Welcome to the list. We do give you a ton of information in the beginning so we understand you're overwhelmed. We can help you digest it all.

The list philosophy is DDT/E.

Its important that you do all 4 of these to see successful results. The first D is for DIAGNOSIS. This is by bloodwork. You want your vet to pull blood to confirm PPID aka Cushings. This test is the eACTH test scheduled early in the week in a quiet barn. Its a simple blood pull but it requires special handling. To confirm IR, you want your vet to pull blood on a NON fasting horse ~ get Insulin/Glucose/Leptin. Send these to Cornell. A thryoid panel would be a good baseline if you can swing it.

DIET is low sugar/starch/fat. We recommend under 10% total s/s/f a day. The Temporary Emergency Diet is to ''wipe the slate clean'' as safely and quickly as possible. IF you've never had your hay analyzed it could be too high in sugar/starch. Stop all grains, no pasture, no supplements other than the ones in the ER Diet, no apples, no carrots, cookies etc. Soak your hay for one hour in cold water, pouring the water where your mare cant get to it. This can reduce sugar in the hay up to 30%! That could be the difference in safe hay vs founder hay. You did not mention if she is fed one TBS of loose iodized table salt.Do this twice a day. I would add this and hold off on the iodide drops for now. Have you cored your hay yet? Sent it to www.equia-analytical.com to be tested? Trainer/#603/$49. Let us know when you get your results back. Then, one of the hay gurus can help you balance your minerals to the hay analysis. Your goal is a balanced diet! But first we see whats in the hay.

TRIM is a balanced foot with heels lowered and toes backed.
EXERCISE is excellent for the horse if she's able. Never force a laminitic horse to move. Handwalking is a great start. If you have any doubts about stiffness, arthritis or reluctance to move forward then dont force her.

The order of importance of the ER minerals is equal. They can all be purchased at Walmart or any drugstore in one day. This is a safe way to slowly introduce new minerals. The salt is two fold ~ it encourges the horse to drink more and get iodine in them. Always add new products slowly but remove quickly any that would make them ill. You will be adding more minerals depending on your hay analysis.

I hope this answers some of your questions!
Let us know if you have more.
Mandy in VA
EC Primary Response
OCT 2003