Re: For trimming help

I don't think Rose was advocating the ABC group for diet advice. (Rose and I were both at OSNCH for the same session a few years ago) That is why I joind this group myself. I am dealing with more and more IR and Cushings horses and wanted more education those conditions. Yes, I can put a perfect trim on a foundered horse, but if I dont address the reason for the condition, the horse will not get better. This is where the EC group helps me get a handle on the condition. ABC is more focused on trim and hoof pathologies. But it is a good reference for those hard to read and distorted by disease or founder hooves. I have been both a student and an instructor at the Oregon School of Natural Hoof Care, affiliated with ABC Hoof Care. I don't think one group is better than the other, just different focus. Both groups offer good educational information.

BTW, there are no "Guru's" at ABC, just instructors and professional references.

Debora Lay
Montana 2012

--- In EquineCushings@..., "kathybrinkerhoff" <kathbrink@...> wrote:

Hi Rose,

I am, also, a member of ABC Hoof and I have never seen any diet recommendations by Cheryl. I traded an email with her last week regarding this topic when I had concerns regarding a poster who is recommending a diet protocol that is 180 degrees from what is recommended for an IR, PPID or compromised horse. Cheryl said she focuses on the hoof trimming posts and doesn't have time to read the nutrition posts.

I agree that Cheryl has put a lot of energy into helping horses with compromised hooves. I am familiar with her trimming gurus/teachers. I attended seminars by the same teachers. I, also, know that one needs to have strong education in hoof anatomy to understand when and when not to implement the hoof trimming suggestions on the ABC Board. Cheryl strongly recommends attending her trimming clinics to learn how to trim, hoof anatomy, practice on cadavers and to trim a live horse in a supervised environment under the guidance of a qualified instructor.

The case study you posted is incredible..you are a gifted trimmer. I would strongly suggest that you start by reading the nutrition advice here in the files and if you have the chance consider signing up for Dr. Kellon's NRC Plus Course. The information you can learn here will be a huge asset to your clients and more importantly to the horse.

Regards,

Kathy Brinkerhoff

SE/WI 2007