Re: Sugar's Blood Work

gypsylassie

--- In EquineCushings@..., "psalm23grl" <joyful.heart.18@...> wrote:

The problem we have is that if we are to change hay, we will have to buy it without getting the hay analyzed as it takes a LONG time. We were going to look for hay that didn't look very green, but if this in not an accurate way to tell, how will be able to tell if the hay is appropriate to switch to or just as bad as the hay we are switching from?
Hi Laura,
I'm learning as I go along, but one thing I picked up is, generally the earlier in the day the hay is cut and the longer it is in the field drying, the lower the sugars will be. It's not a "rule" but it could help you with your hay buying if the grower can tell you these things, at least as a starting point.

Laura K. Chappie & Beau
N.IL. Nov2011