Re: Dr. Kellon--Cornell's Blood Results of 4/11/12 for Pabatsa

lauramollrich <lmollrich@...>

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Lavinia" <dnlf@...> wrote:
Hi Lavinia,

How long since he had eaten before he had his breakfast hay?
They feed 2x/day at our stable: 7:00 and 4:00. I am around until 7:00pm and he is still eating.

As his current ACTH is solidly within normal values, and won't be rising until at least July/August, Leaving him at the current dose seems prudent.

2. Over the past 2 weeks, I have been giving him 1 flake an hour before out training session. See the folder Feeding the Laminitic when Back in Work in this file:
He has never had a laminitic attack so does this still apply?

Ususally, recommendation is to add extra fuel immediately after the work session as that is when the body can make the most use of it more safely.
Yes, Dr.Kellon has me giving him his p.m. ration 1 hour following his workouts. I have heard/read that giving a horse a little hay before they have to go to work helps with stomach acid.

How much, by weight, is one flake?
5-6 lbs.

Do you have a guaranteed analysis for the timothy pellets? Is this 1/2 lb per day or 1/2 lb per meal?
He gets 1/4 in the a.m. and eats it because no minerals in it. I have to throw in more--1/2 lb. in the p.m. to get him to eat his minerals.

Leptin is an additional test and should be run concurrently with insulin so that the snapshot occurs at the same time. It provides more information than insulin alone but not having it does not negate the insulin value.
I put his blood results in the IR Calculator. I am not sure what IR Compensated means?

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team