Re: pergolide tablets - close to date

merlin5clougher <janieclougher@...>

Hi, Claire - Since you are in the UK, I assume you are using Prascend? Or are you one of the lucky few that still gets pergolide?

If you are using Prascend, you could contact Boehringer Ingelheim, and ask for any data they have on potency and shelf life.

The only data available for compounded pergolide are from a very few studies, or one compounding pharmacy in Canada. The one study (Compounded Pergolide)

suggests that capsules are at 75% to 91% potency after 60 days (study did not check for longer time periods; higher potencies are for capsules stored at 8 degrees centigrade)

Island Pharmacy in Canada sent samples off to check pergolide levels at 0days, 3 months and 6 months. I can't find that data right now, but I believe that even at 6 months there was minimal loss of potency.

So - the short answer is: it depends. It depends on how and where the pergolide was stored, whether it is capsules or blister packs, and the potency of the drug that was used for compounding. I know that some people have experienced a relapse in their horses' symptoms after a few weeks of using pergolide that had been either over-heated or frozen.

The best one can do is store your pergolide in the fridge, keep it away from moisture, and use it up by the expiry date - all the while monitoring your horse's symptoms and blood work (if possible)

Here is some more info in the files (check out "Pergolide 101):

Jaini,Merlin,Maggie,Gypsy
BC09
EC moderator

--- In EquineCushings@..., "ermintrudeclaire" <claire@...> wrote:

hi, somehow I have managed to get my pergolide boxes out of order and the new box I opened today has an expiry of end 05/12. I will use it in time but just wondered how far over the date would be safe and still effective? What sort of margin do they allow on pergolide?
thanks
claire:-}
uk,july10