Re: Dr. Kellon and/or other IR experts--please advise

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

If one goal of the study is to determine if an oral Karo challenge is more sensitive at picking up IR than a fasting insulin and glucose there's not much doubt as to how that will turn out.

Many researchers jumped on the fasting idea because it eliminates potentially high levels from the sugar/starch composition of the diet. This is true, but if the protocol of the Va Polytechnic pony study is followed, feeding is not an issue. In that study, normal ponies had insulin no higher than 12 uIU/mL even when maintained nonfasting on pastures that caused laminitis in IR ponies. No problem with false positives.

On the other hand, there is little, if any, evidence that IR horses overproduce glucose when fasted like humans do. If you look at the prefeeding (assumed fasting) insulin levels in the first link I posted this morning, it looks like the highest was around 20, others lower.

You're not going to learn anything new in terms of whether or not your horse is IR, except whether or not he tests positive when fasted, but Dr. McCue's portion is to look for a genetic component. You could contribute to that.

I don't know how risky the Karo challenge is, but the risk is not zero.

EC Co-owner
Feb 2001