Re: Blood test results after Metformin

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

--- In EquineCushings@..., "lisa2t" <tomslisa@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Please can you offer some advice. Bonnie's GI ratio before the Metformin was 0.76. I started the Metformin on the 5th July and stopped 3rd August @ 15000mg twice a day. My vet arranged blood tests the day I took her off the Metformin and the GI Ratio is now 0.90.
When metformin is going to work, it works very quickly - less than a week. Effectiveness decreases over time but if it had been working (it doesn't always) you should have seen more marked improvement at the one month time.

How much hay are you feeding her? Underfeeding can backfire in these very IR horses. How lame is she? Does she cycle normally?

EC Co-owner
Feb 2001