Re: Grade 1 Laminitis?

lauramollrich <lmollrich@...>

--- In EquineCushings@..., "drkellon" <drkellon@...> wrote:

Hi Dr. Kellon,

From what you are seeing on these x-rays, should I be changing Pabatsa's diet?

I am concerned about the inflammation you say is there. My shoer says to me Pabatsa has laminitis because of the way his feet look at the stretched white line (which looks decayed) and because of the rings on all 4's. I am wondering if I should be expecting an abscess? When I can get him out again (he lives over 1 hr. away) I will take photos.

I was told this can be infectious arthritis? If so could can a farrier cause it by driving in a nail?

Can Pabatsa's LF broken back axis be fixed because it's the low heel part of his low/high conformation?

Also, can you tell me which feet your are describing for the ringbone, widened joint space, lamellar zone, and sinking? Is the zero palmar angle and broken back pastern axis something a shoer can cause in the way they trimmed the foot? If so I am going to keep looking for a qualified person that can shoe him. Can it be fixed?

Just how serious is all of this for Pabatsa? I am having a nervous breakdown over all of this. As Lorna says, "Take a deep breath."

By the way, I posted this on this group when the site was down because I was told this would be answered here. Should I move this over to ECHoof?

Laura Mollrich
Laguna Beach, CA
1/2012

There's no change in the coffin bones. He has active ringbone, widened coffin joint space likely from inflammation and increased joint fluid. There is sinking but it hasn't changed in years. The horn lamellar zone is wider than normal for a thoroughbred but probably not for a warmblood. He has zero palmar angle and on the left his hoof pastern axis is broken back.
EC Co-owner
Feb 2001