Re: Moderators/experts: Aug Tests, Plus Sept Rechecks....please help interpret...

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Leptin runs higher in mares, so that's part of the explanation. Otherwise, I suspect we need more pony specific information on leptin and IR. In this study, improved insulin sensitivity was associated with higher leptin:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19320933

The leptin and IR connection holds for many different full size horse breeds but may be different for ponies and Icelandics, which are more pony than horse.

I would stop the supplemental selenium to see if that fixes the hair loss. Icelandics tolerate much lower blood levels of selenium with no signs of deficiency. Whether this also means they are more sensitive to it has not been formally studied but I know of two that had mane and tail hair loss on total intakes that were well below what would be considered potentially toxic.

EC Co-owner
Feb 2001