Re: Time to Clip???

meg_findhorse

I live in north Texas and clipped mine last weekend. They had 1/2 inch thick coats, which by color can tell is winter coat coming in. They are Icelandics, so know they will keep growing their hair.

We still have had over 90F temps and won't be cool for awhile yet. Coldest is in mid-60s at this time of year. I went ahead and clipped with a #10 blade, so pretty short. Left their legs and heads unclipped.

They were really sweating with their winter coats coming in and are much happier now that clipped, though they are now more vulnerable to insects again.

Meg

--- In EquineCushings@..., "lauramollrich" <lmollrich@...> wrote:

We all keep waiting for this S. California heat wave to fade away but it's still here! One day the forecast is for 90's the next day cooling trend so not sure what to do regarding clipping. I wasn't going to clip this year but it is so hot that P is sweaty when I get to the barn. He was shedding a lot a month ago but now he's a fur bear. And, increasing his pergolide to get him through the seasonal rise has made him very dopey. He's not a happy camper.

Should I have him clipped or wait until cooler weather. If I do that then I will have to blanket and I didn't want to this year.

Help!

Laura Mollrich
Laguna Beach, CA
1/2012